ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

KX500 Drag Build

11K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  KX500 
#1 ·
Well, I have been working on my first quad frame ever. I am comparing this frame to my KFX450. So, heres some specs on the frame.

+2 Out the front
+8 Out the back
2 inches shorter, frame height
.058x1 Chromo TIG welded

The motor is 499cc Kawi motor, it will be on Alky, with n2o, hoping around 120+ hp.
For the first season it will be a slightly ported 499, on 115 octane and off the shelf pipe.
It is going to be a hill shooter, no sand drag tracks out on the west coast, mostly just gonna be riden at Sand Mtn, NV.

Pics:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My buddy brought me a pipe today, his dad used to ride KX500s and had it laying around. Prolly the pipe I will be using.

Attachments

#4 ·
There will be a gusset for the rear sub frame, and a support for the steering stem, and radiator mounts. Thanks

#7 ·
QUOTE (renoyfzfan @ Jun 23 2009, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47880looks good but why only a +2 out front.. i hope your cases hold togther most 450 based bikes cant handle more then 100hp

Its a KX500 motor, 2 stroke. I can easily pull 100hp at the crank on 115 octane and it still be ridable in a bike. Remember, the KX500 is a bike motor. Its just the 450 plastics. I want this to still be riden to drag hill, not drug over there behind my truck, maybe even ride it around the back side of the mountain, so, thats why I'm not making it too long. +10" over is plenty long in my opinion, the R1 quads my buddies have are only +8 out the rear in a Raptor frame, and a +10 on a R1 J-Arm Banshee.

#9 ·
Heres a couple more pics, down bars, subframe support, and grab bar are on. I know theres a huge gap on the grab bar, but its not a high stress area, so I will just fill it. No biggie. Next I am gonna do all the final welding, add the parts to hold the seat down, mounts for front plastics. Then I will either do the front suspension or the tank after that. I'm getting excited about it, just hoping I can get this motor to make me just as happy! Other wise, its gonna get a two stroke tripple in it, or a street bike motor.

Attachments

#11 ·
Heres a little update. Not gonna have a big update for a little while, gonna do all the final welding on the frame, then I am gonna get onto the suspension. I am gonna have to order more material too. Guess 40ft wasnt enough to do the frame, and al the suspension pieces...

Attachments

#12 ·
Apartment life sucks, I was at the shop today, doing alot of the final welding on the frame. I am gonna be going to the parents house this weekend, where all my other quads and bikes are, and I am going to bring my drag frame down there. But since I am in an apartment, I refuse to leave all the parts in the bed of my truck out in the parking lot, so I hauled them all up stairs, and since it all laying here, I decided to put it together! HAHA. So heres a better shot of the quad, for those of you interested. Thanks dnmac1999 for the pipe, its perfect and fits like a glove! Also, I know the front of the seat sticks up some, I am going to be flattening it out, trying to keep it all low and at least "look" fast!

Attachments

#16 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Jul 3 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49158lookin good. awesome living room chair..

HaHa, thats actually the dining room chair.

Thanks guys, its getting there. And yes, easily 100hp on Q16, but remember, thats at the crank. The guy that I know that does nothing but the KX5 motors is getting about a 24hp loss through the drivetrain, and thats on a bike. I know the kawi motor uses old technology for the port map, so getting to power does take a bit more time testing, but the ports are so far from where they should be for a drag motor, theres alot of room to port.

#17 ·
Well, I had a day off today, and went into the shop anyways, I started on my swingarm, ran out of material though, doh! I have another 20' stick coming in tomorrow, I still have to finish the swingarm, steering stem, and lower a-arms. But heres a couple pics of the start of the arm, ya, I took it out of my jig because I wanted to see how it was going to look. Its 26" center to center, thats about +8 compared to the KFX450. I have a plate tacked in the carrier straps because I am still waiting for the carrier, hopefully it will show up in the next couple days. Along with a complete Shee axle. Also, this is a ladder style arm, gotta be strong enough for the whoops, and I just like the look of the ladder style. Set up for a 13" shock.

Attachments

#19 ·
See I thought you had a kx500 quad already so I sent the pm about gearing. Didn't pay attention enough.I thought you were blowing me off. Were doin a kx500 as well with an out of frame pipe 48mm lectron on pump gas 25" 12 paddles plus 12 arm. Seems like the kx trans is high geared we had to get a big sprocket made for it. Still workin on it.only runnin 5s so far with a bad bogg off the line with 13/39 gearing. Got another 48mm lectron if interested with a gas needle.

#20 ·
QUOTE (Radar @ Jul 7 2009, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49570See I thought you had a kx500 quad already so I sent the pm about gearing. Didn't pay attention enough.I thought you were blowing me off. Were doin a kx500 as well with an out of frame pipe 48mm lectron on pump gas 25" 12 paddles plus 12 arm. Seems like the kx trans is high geared we had to get a big sprocket made for it. Still workin on it.only runnin 5s so far with a bad bogg off the line with 13/39 gearing. Got another 48mm lectron if interested with a gas needle.

I am very interested in the 48mm Lectron. I did do a KX5 quad once already, but it was a shoehorned piece of [censored], I used a LT230 frame. I will probably end up running alky with a 50mm carb, and n2o. I ran 14/42 on the last one with 9 cup extremes. I never used 1st gear. This time I am planning on either 10/11 extremes or 12/13 haulers with 15/40 gearing. Got any pics of your KX5 quad?

#23 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Jul 7 2009, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49621what kind of axle are u running ?

I am going to be running a stock banshee axle and 35mm JJ&A carrier for now. May step up to a 40mm later down the road. But this will do me just fine for now.

On another note, I was waiting for my chromo to come in today, found out that it wasnt ordered because we have a $200 min order to keep from paying shipping or something like that, I dont mind, I'm not in a big hurry, and I save a little in shipping costs.

#24 ·
Also, should have all my shock mounts and a-arm mounts water jetted out tomorrow.

#27 ·
Ya, the front end of the frame is gonna get a make over, and I am now going for a R1 motor, turbo, and n2o. Just picked up a complete Shee with that setup in it, so I can use it for mockup. Its my buddy's bike, he blew a hole in a piston and has no money to fix it. So its my mockup bike for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.