ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got my new 1-5 trans but the quads way out of tune. It bangs out bad on the top in any gear. I'm running 19/40 gearing i i'm sure its not going to turn quite as many rpms as my 4 mill but its banging out.

We didnt change anything just put the trans in and that was it. It cranks and idles great and if you slam the throttle down it nuetral revs up fast and all seems good but under load bangs out. It has 41 lectrons on it if i remember right . Its on alky any 1 know whwere the timing should be i think its at +7 right now. I did turn the needles on the back of the carbs 2 to 3 full turns in and seems to make it bette rleaning it out but i dont want to get it to lean and burn it up either. First time to have to tune one so i'm lost and dont know [censored] about it lol. How can i lean it down and know i'm not making it too lean>????

Any ideas or help would be great trying to get it ready beens we plan on racing Sat. Any help would be great thanks Mark.

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (Sheefreak @ Jul 12 2009, 10:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49967Is it spraying fuel out the exhasut? What do your plugs look like?

Here is a pic of an alky plug that is pretty close, about as lean as you effectively want to take it. See where the base is burnt, you typically want to see it burn to the 3 and 9 oclock positions on the plug. As you can see this one is more like 11 and 4. You are flirting w/disaster once you start burning the hole base and moving up the threads.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you wide open throttle it in nuetral it will put a light mist on your hand. My other bike i had it would flat spray you hand wet and it ran great.

I think its too lean maybe? The problem i have now that is th eneedle on the back of the carbs it went one round from how it was set when i got it and its maxed out where i can't adj any richer???
Would timinig be much of a factor with something like this or not really?

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Flat sides of the needles facing the motor right? PE1 needles? Power jets and all parts of carbs clean and not plugged up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (kubitza123 @ Jul 12 2009, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49949Ok got my new 1-5 trans but the quads way out of tune. It bangs out bad on the top in any gear. I'm running 19/40 gearing i i'm sure its not going to turn quite as many rpms as my 4 mill but its banging out.

We didnt change anything just put the trans in and that was it. It cranks and idles great and if you slam the throttle down it nuetral revs up fast and all seems good but under load bangs out. It has 41 lectrons on it if i remember right . Its on alky any 1 know whwere the timing should be i think its at +7 right now. I did turn the needles on the back of the carbs 2 to 3 full turns in and seems to make it bette rleaning it out but i dont want to get it to lean and burn it up either. First time to have to tune one so i'm lost and dont know [censored] about it lol. How can i lean it down and know i'm not making it too lean>????

Any ideas or help would be great trying to get it ready beens we plan on racing Sat. Any help would be great thanks Mark.

if u r runnin the 1/8 then run a 17/39 and it should work becuz mine has that and spins 8-12 feet from take off

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got with another guy i know and plan on hopefully racing this weekend with. Now the 10mill is alive. Just leaned it one more turn and that baby will try and pull your arms off now. Thanks for the replies etc guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.