ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna build something new this winter, just not sure what I wanna build.

Got it narrowed down to either a 4mill dm or a 10 mill cub.

I wanna go 3's! I am 250lbs.
which one should I build, and what are some of the pros and cons of each engine?

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE (badassbanshee479 @ Oct 21 2008, 03:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=13560Gonna build something new this winter, just not sure what I wanna build.

Got it narrowed down to either a 4mill dm or a 10 mill cub.

I wanna go 3's! I am 250lbs.
which one should I build, and what are some of the pros and cons of each engine?

Tell you the truth, I would go with the 4mill dm.
the 4mill and 10mill cub run about the same, but its easier to go faster on the 10mill.
the down fall on the 10mill cub and above is it needs bigger flanges and reeds, its getting choked up.

I would go with a dm

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Oct 21 2008, 04:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=13570I give JT credit, he's had this motor 4 seasons that I know of. No one keeps a motor that long...he's due.

Seeing it run on gas in 05 at Silver Lake is what got me wound up in this crap.....that was before alky, before override, lowered frames, lightened, etc.... just a motor...

i would love to see....just a motor....go down the track.
where would you sit?

arent there extensive modifications needed on the top case half
to accept the dm cylinder?
do a 10mm dm

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Yeah yeah, I meant just a cub, no override, lockup, alky...etc. Smart guy...

10 mil cases need to be trenched.
The top case half does have to be welded and machined for the larger bore cylinders.....these are 78mm pistons...they're monstrous....

I too, would go 10 mil DM.

My problem is this.....
People have to GIVE things away to sell them. Then I have to come up with a fair amount of money out of pocket (even at my prices) just to add 20 HP, give or take....

·
Registered
803 Posts
QUOTE (kawiking @ Oct 21 2008, 07:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=13576hell dave.. u and jt and travis are the reason im sittin on my little money pit now...

go dm jt !! u can make it run !!
I'd like to take credit for some of your moneypit Rico.Welcome to the world of going fast and being broke like the rest of us.lol.My next motor will be a DM too.If your gonna machine the bottom half of the cases do it right and do a lil' to the top too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the 4mil DM will make better torque over the 10mil cub.. It does have 550cc's compared to the 464cc of the 10mil cub.

Also.. if you build the 4mil DM.. you'll have everything you need.. If/when you decide to go bigger.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I'd feel bad squeaking by him on that big motor with my little ol' 10 mil on alky....

He should build a 10 mil. Same price...add trenching (cheap) and a 10 mil crank, sell his 4 mil crank to offset most the cost of a new one.

He'd be out of pocket an extra 300 to 400 bucks for the trench and crank if he got a decent price on his 4 mil crank, and he could sell Jr. the whole kit and kaboodle...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had the thought of telling him to get me a set of cases and a trans and I would sell him the whole damn thing.... add clutch and electronics and he would be runnin.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
QUOTE (99banshee @ Oct 21 2008, 09:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=13594I'd like to take credit for some of your moneypit Rico.Welcome to the world of going fast and being broke like the rest of us.lol.My next motor will be a DM too.If your gonna machine the bottom half of the cases do it right and do a lil' to the top too.

i hope u do take credit.. visa,mastercard,sams club card...

i believe we have just got started on this money pit ,brian...

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Oct 21 2008, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=13643I would do the 4mm DM. Less case work, cheaper crankshaft. Plus it has better power potential.

If your gonna spend that much money building a Dm JT, I would spend the 300 to 400 dollar at most for the difference in power. Then if for some reason you cant go in the 3's with a 4mm Dm you wont be pissed you didnt go with the 10. lol. (But I dont think that it should be a problem with either Dm to get into the 3's)
I do think that you should go with a DM. They are a better motor for the heavier guys.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.