ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a gauge that I'm trying to run on my banshee that needs 12 volt DC power. I tapped into the lighting leads. (I don't have lights) It runs, but at high RPM's the gauge display shuts down. The digital screen won't come back up until the motor falls back to an idle. I have a regulator. I've got great solid grounds. Do I need to have a load (lights or a grip warmer or something) on the system to prevent power spikes? Am I missing something or do I just need to rig up a battery to power it? This is for a duner that runs all day so I'd rather not have to change a battery at every fuel fill up. Any thoughts? THANKS. Sand Fan, JOHN.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Registered
473 Posts
yea its a easy fix just go to radio shack and get you a 3 leg voltage transistor and a capacitor it will stay at 12v dc constant i will draw you up a pick and part numbers when i get a chance it will run fuel pumps and other electrical stuff

·
Registered
767 Posts
Most people dont realze this, but the power supplied to the lights is AC voltage. Most of the 2-cycle bikes were that way. Thay only use an AC regulator to limit output. The banshee uses a "shunt" so to speak to limit voltage spikes and help keep it steady.

You can take any bulb that will run on DC, then run it on AC also. A lot of lawnmowers that have a DC 12volt battery use a leg from the stator to run the lights, and that would be AC.

Frank told you the fix, just didnt really explain why you had to have something else LOL.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a feeling I was dealing with A/C. I was sure there was a way to do this, I just wasn't sure where to start. These gauges are mostly used on snowmobiles and sleds have batteries. Thanks guys for the response. I'm looking forward to the pictures and part #'s to get going on fixing this in time for next weekend. THANKS AGAIN. Sand Fan, JOHN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.