ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a Dyno-section, so I think this is the best place to put this.

I will finish my ss,sc Banshee in about a week or so, and then I´ll start to tune my carbs. I´m going to do this with my trustfull a.s.s.-dyno, surfing around on an asphalt road near my garage. I´m going to use my 18" asphalt tires with 16/40 gearing.

My first Q is about the Plug-chop-test. How long (in seconds) is enough, pulling WOT on 6th. gear?

The road is about 1/4 mile long, so I can´t go far going as fast as 70+.

Second Q is about Dyno pulls.

-Are those 18" Asphalt tires with 16/40 gearing enough for a good pull, or do you think I need something else?

-What should I tell about my Banshee to the Dyno-operator? ...RPM´s to start? what gear he should use? (5th.?)

-What should I ask from the operator? ..should I ask something about the load he is using or anything else.

The owner/operator(Team Laine) of that Dyno is not going to make any adjustments to my bike.

My bike is going to be the second Banshee EVER on that dyno, and the first one did 51HP and 47Nm of torque.

That banshee has all the same mod´s that I do, exept he has different head and the porting was made by someone I don´t know. That Banshee was having an "all out" dyno-tuning and it was two days in that shop. The main jets were 175 and it is SUPER rich in my books. Also the timing was -2. These are the reasons why I only need to measure the power and the torque and nothing else.

Also my friend has a modded 700 Rappy and he was using this same shop(Team Laine) to adjust his motor. It came out having 63HP and 62Nm of torq. This same bike went to another shop(KX Center) to compare these two dynos. This second pull showed 64HPs and 65Nm of torq, and the operator told him that it was lean up top!?

After reading this hard English, what do you think, should I go to first shop or the second?

Any advices, guide-lines what should I know is welcome.

Thank you.

-Pasi S.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Guys that have easy access to a dyno can benefit from them. Unfortunately we dont have one close, so I have to trust my a.s.s. tuning as well lol.

Pick the dyno you have heard the best "word of mouth" from, or whoever has the best reviews. After they are through with the dyno session, you still need to do a plug check and jet it for real world situations. IMO a plug reading is the only way unless you have an EGT setup that records exhaust temp.

Your going to make the first banshee look bad, a very very mild port job with a shaved stock head will make more power than 51hp with pipes and tuned in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hard part is that, there is no reviews to look.

Team L. has experience with 2 strokes and the shop owner himself used to be a Ice-racer with CR Hondas and TRX 450R.

However he is a die hard Honda man. My friend told me that I should not say anything how much I expect to see out of my motor. If I say "it should do 65 easy" ...it´s allmost 100% sure that I will not see that number without "paying" him to do the adjustments to my bike.

This might be the reason WHY that first Banshee didn´t made anything above 51. The ownew of that Banshee has a BIG mouth. He told me that his Banshee has "everything" and "above" and "the most" you can dig out from a stock motor.

I can see how the "Honda-man" can kill the topend power by using seriously too large main-jets in those carb´s.

That dyno-pull was made in late summer and using 175 mains is just stupid. The current owner of that Banshee did some ice-racing last winter with those same mains, and the plugs were still showing too rich conditions.

...but then again. The power-measurment with that dyno is 75 bucks and it includes two pulls. I can change my mains one time if I need. And I think his load is better than the other one. -don´t know.

The other shop -KX-Center- is a Yamaha dealer. The ATV Dyno is quite new and I´m not sure if they can use it like it should. I know that there is a group of professionals that can tune the street-bikes.

Like I told above, the KX-Centers dyno showed a tad more power and torq, and it was showing "lean" conditions in that 700 Raptor, so I´m not sure is the load good enough???

And yeap - I want to see if can do better with my Banhee vs the other one. We both have K&N´s, I have 35 PWK´s and he has 34PJ´s. He has VF3´s and I have ported stockers with Boyesen Pro´s. Both are ported. Both have cool heads with 20cc domes, I have Noss and he have Pro-Design. Both have T´5´s. ...so if everythiong is good the power should be allmost the same, depending of the port-work.

Here is the sheet about that 51 Banshee

I still need to know what to tell to that Person who is going to measure my Banshee. If I use that KX-Center, they have never even seen one in live. LOL!

let´s keep this going if there is anything to go with...

-Pasi S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts