ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would someone want a 22" paddle over a 21" paddle? The 21" will always be lighter so I don't see the advantage of the 22".

I am mostly concerned with hill shooting but I assume the arguments are the same for drags.

Has anybody done any back to back testing?

Mailman

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
ive always run 21's and now im going to try 22's for the roll out and i think they are compatable for weight

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you guys say rollout, you mean a larger circumference. It would seem that a larger circumference (rollout) would just change your gearing which could be adjusted for with sprockets.

The distance between the paddles would be greater on a 22" and may have something to do with it.

It seems that you guys feel a 22" is better than a 21" tire, right?

My gut says the lighter tire would win, but keep the responses coming.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Alot of the higher paddle tires will come in a 22", not sure I've seen many 21" ones. But then again alot of times they just sell them based on rollout too. I think a 72 rollout is comparable to 22" someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Tires vary many of the 21" tires are taller than a 22". The taller or larger around the tire is the more float it will have. The larger the tire with more paddles it has will give it more traction or push to get the bike rolling. If you dont have enough motor to turn a big tire then a smaller tire will be faster. On say a 75 hp bike or less a 21 may be faster. If you have a 90 hp motor then a 22" 10 or 12 paddle will get out of the hole a lot faster than a 21" 8 or 10 paddle. This is dependant on the sand and bike/rider weight, type of motor too. 4 strokes with a lot of torque but even only 60 HP can turn a bigger tire with more paddle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 22" vs 21" really depends on the machine and riding style.

22" and taller roll outs seem to do better in drag only setups.

21" tires seem to do better for duner/drag setups

20" tires seem to only do good for duners.

The 22" tire gets sees less rolling resistance in whoops and the choppy stuff.... Basicly they don't go down as deep in the holes or ruts like the smaller tires do. So it doesn't influence your ride as much. This is the same reason you see a large diameter tire/wheel combo on a dirt bike.

The only bad things I can say about 22" skats... They like to bouce pretty bad when you come off the throttle and they don't slide like a 21" tire but thats about it.

Now, I'm a big fan of STU Brats and they only come in a 21" carcas so roll outs are pretty limmited to 66-68. These tires float extremely well because of their wide foot print. Most guys don't like them because gearing is different from a 22" tire. On my setup, I run a 14x36 stock gear and on the flats I can run a 15x36.

These tires slide, dune, jump and drag like no body's business. If setup right a 6 paddle brat is hard to beat on a 4 stroke and for the 2 stroke guys you can get them in a 9 paddle or 18 paddle. I've run all of these configurations including an 18 paddle Tebo cut (staggared). Thing with the brats though.... the wider the wheel, the more bite they get..... which is pretty much opposite of the skats.

·
Registered
767 Posts
QUOTE (BBIII @ Jan 12 2009, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=25210Correct Rich....i have always wanted to try some 9 pdl brats on my 450's but never had.
Maybe i will look into get a set this year.

To a certain extent, a larger rollout will perform better if the gearing is compensated. The explanation will take longer than I have at the moment LOL.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i have some 21" 10 paddles on my banshee. i think i have to much air in them. they hook up good but i think i either need to let some air out or upgrade. what pressure is good to run in them for sand drags?

·
Registered
80 Posts
QUOTE (Radar @ Jan 23 2009, 03:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=27444Usually 3 to 5 lbs but adjust for what is hooking the best for the conditions.

Yeah I agree there, if you go under 3 lbs then the paddles start to just fold back and become useless. Then you know its time for new paddles.

I've run as high as 7 or 8 lbs in them too when they're hooking too hard.... but that doesn't sound like your problem ha ha ha

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey guys Im new on this site but ive read alot on here and like what everyone has to say, Ive got a question and would like all trial and error answers. Im lookin to buy a new set of paddles for my shee.Its a Dirtworks 350 Midrange port t5s stock carbs k&n pods +4 timing 135 psi cold cranking com. pumpgas motor 65h.p. at wheels stock gearing +4 swinger. Im 205lbs. with 20 10 8 10pad. hauler it blows the tires off out the hole in 2nd. Would a 22 11 8 8paddle Extreme w 70 to 72 RO be too much or not. I ride in Genoa Ne. 90% of the time . Its located olong o riverbed somewhat fine sand. What ya think guys?

·
Registered
163 Posts
QUOTE (Jose @ Jan 25 2009, 01:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=27655My brother in laws old shee had that much hp and he was using my old 22x11x8 9 paddle with no problems.Hope to see ya out at Genoa and welcome to the site.
What was the RO and out the hole in first or second gear. I tried som lumberjacks I think the were 21s 10 pad extreme, bogged in 2nd but ok in 1st but had to short shift to second. Jose u got that K&T 7mill dont you, or am I thinking of someone else?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
QUOTE (04_blu_shee @ Jan 25 2009, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=27658What was the RO and out the hole in first or second gear. I tried som lumberjacks I think the were 21s 10 pad extreme, bogged in 2nd but ok in 1st but had to short shift to second. Jose u got that K&T 7mill dont you, or am I thinking of someone else?

They were 72 ro 9 paddle regular haulers.And he started in 2nd no problem..No 7mil here just a slow 4mil.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.