ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my newest build it is a 250r full rigid chassis with an adjustable swingarm.....this is the first rigid chassis i have done and im pretty pleased with the way it turned out although i hope i can make some improvements on my next one...let me know what you think...Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
QUOTE (rowan racing @ May 19 2009, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=43471Here are some pics of my newest build it is a 250r full rigid chassis with an adjustable swingarm.....this is the first rigid chassis i have done and im pretty pleased with the way it turned out although i hope i can make some improvements on my next one...let me know what you think...Thanks rowan looks good man ,did a good job 4 your first one

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its made out of 7/8 .058 molly with 3/4 and 5/8 .058 molly bracing and it is mig welded....i tig welded a few parts that dont have much stress on them to get some practice.....when i weighed it the only thing i had to add was chain, wheelie bar, nitrous, and fluids and the bike wieghed 183 pounds.......im pretty happy with the weight......im thinking without the bar i can get away with right around 200 pounds

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what alot of people say but i have built 2 frames and 5 swingarms and mig welded all of them and for the last 2 years i havnt had a problem out of any of them....im not arguing that it is better than tig because its not but i have never had a problem with it thus far.....not saying i wont lol but thats why this is my personal bike as a full chassis....my stock modded chassis's worked and swingarms so im trying this for my personal bike so i dont put anyone in danger....after this year i will be tigging everything....already have the tig just not the practice time to trust myself....i trust my mig welds......so far lol....but thanks for the props

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hoping to have this bike finished around the 2nd week of august getting lots of parts chromed and polished on this bike....never done that before lol always just cared about how they ran never about how they looked but since i built the chassis myself i want it to look good ....well hope it does anyways.....ill post pics once i get it finished....getting pretty excited....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
whats the difference from tigg'n to migg'n cromoly..

also i heard the 90/10 gas saposivley in a mig lays smaller welds.?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the only difference from everything i have read is well one tig is alot prettier weld if you know what your doing with it it looks beautiful, and i have a tig but i trust myself more with my mig....everyone says dont weld molly with mig because of the HAZ (heat affected zone) which is larger in mig welding due to starting cold like that forum you posted said.....i used to pre-heat my mig molly welds with a handheld torch so it wouldnt be a cold start but havnt done that in awhile .....i will agree that tig is alot prettier and that it has a smaller haz but dont agree that you CANT mig molly like everyone says....i have built 2 molly chassis and 6 molly swingarms and have never had any problem out of any of them....3 of the 6 swingarms are on bikes that run 4.1s or faster and 1 of the chassis runs consistant 4 teens and i have not had any problems....but still i dont disagree tig is better than mig i just agree that mig is way faster way easier and still works good.....after i finish my college course this winter i will be tigging most everything i build but when you tig it takes so much more time so thats why it cost so much more to buy a product that has been tig welded.....i can build a 0-10 over banshee swingarm in 3.5 hours from start to finish with mig.....if it was tigged it would prolly take another hour to weld(just a guess) so thats why i like mig so much....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.