ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having an issue with what I think to be the spark blowing out on my bike. I have the stock ignition(I know I need to Upgrade) and I'm at about 16:1 with 220 pounds of compression. I did not have any problems until I just re cut my dome and bumped the compression from 14:1 to 16:1. Bike starts one or two kicks every time and seems to run good....that is until I pin it. Its acting like its two rich and won't clean out on top(misses). However I have taken a ton of fuel out of it to the point I'm getting close to what my gas jetting was. If I pin it in neutral it will go rev clean for a second and then rich and back and forth. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is after bumping the compression I've surpassed the limit of the stock ignition. I'm also running a br9es at .018. I know I need to step into a new ignition, but it just doesn't fit the budget right now. Maybe a nology coil as a cheaper alternative?

.047 squish

201 exhauust

Help....only 3 days before I leave for the dunes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dont let the weak ignition cause you to lean it out, it can happen. Put a nology coil on it, make sure to have a non-resistor cap on the wire. Also change the plug to a B9EG or B9EGV and gap it down to .016. If that doesnt get it then you will have to change the ignition. It's really going to be a hit or miss.

[/quote]

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Loosening squish to 055 might help too, that's a big bore and even 047 is plenty tight . Also you didn't mention how wide the squishband is or if you changed the angle.just trying to name the free stuff besides ignition you can fix before your trip. .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll loosen the squish if I have too. First I'll try some basic stuff with the ignition and the plug and see what happens.

Does anyone know if I can run a non-resistor plug and plug boot with the stock ignition?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.