ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wonderin what everybody recommends for the trx250 motors. im wondering who makes a good lockup, what do you recommend for clutch kits and baskets, and reeds? ive heard good and bad about both the v2 and v3s. which set do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i run a vf 3 reed 40.5 kehin carb direct drive has a good lock out but expensive oem clutch kits looking to run stock cylinder or aftermarket ?

·
Registered
767 Posts
We run the v-2 in all of our R's, although they are getting hard to find. The v-3 will do fine for most applications. If your clutch hub, basket, and plate are all in good shape, then you shouldnt need a lockup unless you get much over 70-75hp.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Bubba297 did you get my email from yesterday sir. Call me today if you get a chance sir.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a stock cylinder, its an 87, has a spacer and running 85-86 style piston. i just got the motor, its been ported but i dont know by who. prolly gonna send the cylinder out and have someone look at it and improve it if possible. i just tore apart the clutch, the basket is a little pitted so im gonna replace that, prolly with something aftermarket, and im getting new plates cuz theyre smoked. should i go oem with the plates? or should i look at like a barnett? im still iffy on the lockup. what kind of hp should i expect out of this motor once my head, cylinder, and other mods are completed?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
QUOTE (brmotorhead @ Feb 3 2009, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=28988I have a stock cylinder, its an 87, has a spacer and running 85-86 style piston. i just got the motor, its been ported but i dont know by who. prolly gonna send the cylinder out and have someone look at it and improve it if possible. i just tore apart the clutch, the basket is a little pitted so im gonna replace that, prolly with something aftermarket, and im getting new plates cuz theyre smoked. should i go oem with the plates? or should i look at like a barnett? im still iffy on the lockup. what kind of hp should i expect out of this motor once my head, cylinder, and other mods are completed?

oem ported id say mid 40's to low 50's depends on the set up porting compression carb pipe ect i have used barrnets and they have worked good im currently trying oem steels and fibers and you can get a good aftermarket basket besides hinson they are on ebay or i got mine at magicracing.com i forget the brand but they said they are made at the same place a guy builds em for both companys

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
QUOTE (brmotorhead @ Feb 3 2009, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=28988I have a stock cylinder, its an 87, has a spacer and running 85-86 style piston. i just got the motor, its been ported but i dont know by who. prolly gonna send the cylinder out and have someone look at it and improve it if possible. i just tore apart the clutch, the basket is a little pitted so im gonna replace that, prolly with something aftermarket, and im getting new plates cuz theyre smoked. should i go oem with the plates? or should i look at like a barnett? im still iffy on the lockup. what kind of hp should i expect out of this motor once my head, cylinder, and other mods are completed?

There are some guys gettin mid 50's on a stock cylinder.....

Pm sent

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you can afford to buy an aftermarket cylinder, I would go that route. There are just so many options now with the sphinx, puma, pro X, that are hard to beat. If you just have your mind set on a oem jug then kudos to you, that's personally my flavor. BUT, somebody's gonna spend tons of time to get a stocker drag worthy compared to the aftermarket boys. I have a Vortex basket that I have ran for three years (150.00 ebay) that shows no signs of wear yet. Oem fibers and steels, CR500 springs. Good till 70hp so far!!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd go with the stock fibers and steels. A little pricey but they work great. As far as a lockup I'd do the Slingshot. You don't have to pay for the neat cover and the extended kickshaft that could possibly break the clutch cover. As far as clutch baskets, the stock one works fine as long as it isn't grooved real bad. The aftermarket billet ones will get grooved also. They can be filled flat again. That's personal preference. I run the Hinson since it was in my bottom end when I got it.

As far as cylinders go. How fast do you want to go reliably. The stockers are great to a point. I've seen 60hp+ but on the ragged edge. You could get an unported Sphynx to probably make a little more than 60hp and still be able to run the stock style intake and exhaust. The Pro X's are good too. I'm starting to see them reasonably priced now.

I've got a 431 Puma and it's a beast. Dynoed 96.7hp with the clutch slipping. It's all about what you want it to do and there's a lot of different ways to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.