ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a dirtbike engine( KX 500 or Cr500) in a dragquad?I have a roller (Cannondale) that is going to be my next project.I know about the vibration,but in a dragger,
it shouldnt be such a problem.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi, I have been lurking around here lately, and I just recently, today actually, got my KX500 powered Zuki done, rode it around and everything. First of all, it makes a crap load of power, especially just stock. The head on mine is slightly decked to raise compression ratio slightly. The quad is a '85 LT230, light weight, and the motor is an '86 KX500. The '86-87 were the most aggressive power wise, better for building power. It will be at Sand Mtn. this weekend for Easter. its still rigged looking, faded red plastics, and chopped stock KX500 exhaust to be a drag pipe till i have time and money to get a pipe built. The vibration issue, mostly just locktite and lock washer everything, you'll get used to the vibration. It doesnt bother me. Ill get some pics up after this weekend, if anyone wants to see it, just roll by and ask, I may be also riding my '08 KFX450, all white, no stickers with a black/green DASA exhaust.

So, anybody else decide to do this? My buddy will have his KTM360 powered 250r out there as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, ill get some pics up right after this first trip. I probably lost about 10lbs. with this motor swap, I'm gonna see if I can weigh it at work today, but it should be under 250lbs. and right aroumd 60hp. I have a 85ish Honda CX500 street bike radiator in it. I'm going to be using Extreme paddles in the rear, 9 cup. I'm gonna tr? out a 14/42 gear ratio first and change it from there. Will get a +6 swing arm at a later date.

And about the vibration, I have another '86 motor that I am gonna bore to 540cc's and get the whole rotating assembly balanced, ie. no more bad vibes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.