ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to drag racing, have been running open class MX for a couple years now, Looking to try my luck at Drag racing, 1st race is Sept. 13. I have a 2001 660 that is currently set up for mx, has a pipe, air box mod/K&N filter jetting is spot on, however the internals are stock. Also has works suspension with MX valving. Can someone please give me a good place to start with my set-up, gearing, tire sizes pressures etc. I will be racing on grass 400 feet. Thanks I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
QUOTE (RapKor @ Aug 25 2008, 08:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9146I am new to drag racing, have been running open class MX for a couple years now, Looking to try my luck at Drag racing, 1st race is Sept. 13. I have a 2001 660 that is currently set up for mx, has a pipe, air box mod/K&N filter jetting is spot on, however the internals are stock. Also has works suspension with MX valving. Can someone please give me a good place to start with my set-up, gearing, tire sizes pressures etc. I will be racing on grass 400 feet. Thanks I really appreciate any help you can give me.

First off try lowering the quad some. Some people just use ty downs and strap the front end down, cheap and easy. Go down one tooth in the front and launch in second gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (T-Rex @ Aug 25 2008, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9150First off try lowering the quad some. Some people just use ty downs and strap the front end down, cheap and easy. Go down one tooth in the front and launch in second gear.

Should I just strap the front down or should I do the rear as well? I currently have 21" tires in the front an 18.5" holeshots in the rear, should I still gear down? What is a good gear ratio to run? 400 feet grass. Thanks

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If your running 18's then leave the gearing alone. If running in grass a few people run turff tammers and screw in a lot of screws into the tires like ice racing, better traction.
Just ty down the front end to lower it about two inches or ,more if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (T-Rex @ Aug 25 2008, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9167If your running 18's then leave the gearing alone. If running in grass a few people run turff tammers and screw in a lot of screws into the tires like ice racing, better traction.
Just ty down the front end to lower it about two inches or ,more if you can.

Thanks I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
buy a lower kit.....

u might check and see if u can run studded tires, some tracks might not let u.
put ur nuts on the gas tank when u launch... it will still be trying to come up.

start in second.. pin the throttle and dont let out of the gas when u shift.what pipes do u have... if u really get into it, get some barkers. they are high, but both my buddies bikes ran so much harder with them. just were pants... im still healin from a leg burn thats 5 weeks old.

high compression piston and cams and barkers are a good start off combo... there's acouple sick raptors on here.... there is acouple of craycraft bikes on here that are hard runners.. pm txraptor,austin oneal,ubetrun.... craycraft crew. bob craycraft knows his raptors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts