ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the options for rebuilding a 68mm cub. I haven't found any 68mm+ pistons (68.25mm, 68.50mm, etc) pistons so is the only option to have it bored/renikasiled?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jan 25 2009, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=27689What are the options for rebuilding a 68mm cub. I haven't found any 68mm+ pistons (68.25mm, 68.50mm, etc) pistons so is the only option to have it bored/renikasiled?

Two ways to do it.
By far the most common way is to have it re-coated. Unless you gouged it real bad....new nickel should be fine....

Some people will put steel liners in the cylinders (they have to be bored to accept the liners) and then you have a few bores.

Nikasil and Steel Liners each have their own pros and cons...

If you wanted a 68.25mm piston, part number would be 573MO6825

I'm not saying you can't do it...but I don't know of anyone that has bored than nikasiled a cylinder...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jan 28 2009, 07:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=28115Two ways to do it.
By far the most common way is to have it re-coated. Unless you gouged it real bad....new nickel should be fine....

Some people will put steel liners in the cylinders (they have to be bored to accept the liners) and then you have a few bores.

Nikasil and Steel Liners each have their own pros and cons...

If you wanted a 68.25mm piston, part number would be 573MO6825

I'm not saying you can't do it...but I don't know of anyone that has bored than nikasiled a cylinder...

I knew the Nikasil was very very hard and usually didn't get gouged from just normal use. I was just curious what the route taken is when they "rebuild" a cub. I read on Millenium's site where they blast it then re-coat it back to 68mm correct? I also have a buddy with a pair of big bore stock cylinders that need to be bored and we were curious as to what options he had (which piston to use for a 68mm+). I told him to send them off and have 'em coated but that would be quite a bit more money too.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Millennium will fix any gouges in it by welding if needed. They did my old stock stroke and a friends that needed a little more than recoating. They dont charge any more to do it. at least they didnt mine. No need to bore really IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.