ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what thoughts are on breaking in on alky or race gas? I was concerned w/ heat cycles.

I also have a lectron and was wondering how to set up needle or how to tell if needle is set at right height...or where to start out at?

I did read above post on alky tuning but theres nothing on the needle.

Thanks,JP

·
Registered
88 Posts
When starting for the first time on a new piston, i usually let it warm up real good keeping on the throttle as slow low revs just to keep from washing the cylinder and enoughf to burn at a clean rate. cool all the way down repeat again with midrange revs then change my oil and start putting some strain on the motor.... Whether its the right way hell i dont kno but it works good for me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
How many times do i need to do repeat these hot starts? On the needle if you call packard he will tell you the measurement really quick as to where the needle should be adjusted for your setup

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE (joshb @ Mar 5 2009, 07:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33222How many times do i need to do repeat these hot starts? On the needle if you call packard he will tell you the measurement really quick as to where the needle should be adjusted for your setup

I let mine warm up twice then completely let it cool down then the 3rd time I warm it up and take it for a nice and easy ride then the 4th time your ready to go once you warm it up

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Mar 5 2009, 04:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33284Start the needles at about 46mm from the bottom of the plastic collar to the tip of the needle.
I'm leaving my Lectrons alone, as is...gonna heat cycle it a few times on gas to build up some heat.

I'm sure I'm gonna foul a plug or 2...

Ok thanks Dave! I talked to Tim at Titan he told me to turn P/J's off and break in on purge gas......Sooooo prob what im gnna do. I will adjust needle to 46mm and go from there.

Thanks Jp

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (joshb @ Mar 5 2009, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33313What kind of gas do i need for break in? So you break it in on purge gas with the pj closed and with it running like crap?

Just some race gas mixed at 20:1 or 32:1 what ever ur liking is... Im goin w/ 32:1 w/ Klotz super techniplate

Im gnna do 2 or 3 heat cycles then open up PJ and take er for a spin

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (joshb @ Mar 5 2009, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33315but isnt it gonna run like crap on purge fuel
Oh Im sure it will....But thats what I was told to do...So thatsa whata ima gonna do

Just have a cple plugs on hand. They say the purge gas will build heat quicker. I was told to run it up to 140-160 deg and shut er down let cool...then do it agin...2 or 3 times

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ya my motor is nik'd to so i dont have to break it in like that. PLus yes i have been riding it.....but im asking this for this motor im going to break in this weekend

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (joshb @ Mar 5 2009, 09:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33320Ya my motor is nik'd to so i dont have to break it in like that. PLus yes i have been riding it.....but im asking this for this motor im going to break in this weekend

Dam Josh...That looks good Bro....whose motor is that? what size?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.