ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really seen anyone post what type of sprockets they use. I've always used aluminum sprockets in the past with good luck. Is there a point when one should consider using steel?

I can't sleep so I thought this would be a useful thread.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (Fouledout421 @ Jun 25 2009, 12:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48052Never really seen anyone post what type of sprockets they use. I've always used aluminum sprockets in the past with good luck. Is there a point when one should consider using steel?

I can't sleep so I thought this would be a useful thread.

I have always used aluminum sprockets on my stuff.

Only time I had an issue with aluminum sprockets was on our turbo hayabusa sand rail. It would eat a 530 sprocket (and chain) in 30 minutes. We then went to a 630 and it would last a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I got a PBI aluminum sprocket recently from John at Sandtoyz cause he wouldnt even let me buy a steel one for my new bike. He swears by that brand and no other but they last for the Ca guys that ride every weekend. He gets a lot of time out of them he said. So far with one dune trip with only about a days ride really, it's got no wear. I've heard horror stories about alum sprockets many times but I trust Johns advice on the PBI's being good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
QUOTE (Radar @ Jun 25 2009, 08:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48078I got a PBI aluminum sprocket recently from John at Sandtoyz cause he wouldnt even let me buy a steel one for my new bike. He swears by that brand and no other but they last for the Ca guys that ride every weekend. He gets a lot of time out of them he said. So far with one dune trip with only about a days ride really, it's got no wear. I've heard horror stories about alum sprockets many times but I trust Johns advice on the PBI's being good.
PBI is what we sell/use also most of the time.We run steel but they do make a badarse aluminum one.Plus they're reasonably priced.

·
Registered
767 Posts
When I run a smaller rear at the asphalt drags (39-40), I run a steel. I would rather be safe than sorry. Everywhere else there is an aluminum on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.