ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious if anyone on here runs a little nitro/meth mix. What is needed to be done to the motor to run nitro, what are the gains etc etc. Just trying to gain a little knowledge.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a ds450 with fuel injection, kind of curious as to what it takes to run 20-30%. I think i saw that bike on this forum, how much % was he running that he made 57hp.. i thought nitro would gain more than that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
QUOTE (450power @ Aug 23 2009, 07:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54003i got a ds450 with fuel injection, kind of curious as to what it takes to run 20-30%. I think i saw that bike on this forum, how much % was he running that he made 57hp.. i thought nitro would gain more than that.
if you have fuel injection you will need a bigger injector, way bigger and a programmable fuel controller you will need to switch to alky nitro and gas don't mix theres allot of other stuff to do but that is where yo will need to start

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
he ran 50% nitro it did run good on the dunes aj is his name good guy im sure if you have questions he will answer them for you have i his number so i can get you in touch with him

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
bdhn had a 575cc honda with a 50mm lectron, 3 powerjets turned wide open and a trenched needle and anything over 27%(measured with a hydrometer) it lost power because it couldnt get enough fuel. not to mention it destroys parts.... nitrous is a much safer alternative.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (450power @ Aug 23 2009, 04:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54003i got a ds450 with fuel injection, kind of curious as to what it takes to run 20-30%. I think i saw that bike on this forum, how much % was he running that he made 57hp.. i thought nitro would gain more than that.
HE picked up like 13hp on %50 over just running methonal. Wich is huge I think. Keep in mind this was stock bore/ stroke 450 with 12.5 piston and untouched head.

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
QUOTE (2slo4u @ Aug 23 2009, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54014bdhn had a 575cc honda with a 50mm lectron, 3 powerjets turned wide open and a trenched needle and anything over 27%(measured with a hydrometer) it lost power because it couldnt get enough fuel. not to mention it destroys parts.... nitrous is a much safer alternative.....

agree totally..i have a hybrid raptor that was setup for nitro and 20% is pretty easy to run but 40% is a whole different ballgame like was mensioned u will need a hydrometer and a huge carb that dumps alot of fuel...and i do agree nitro likes to destroy parts we took the tranny out and the nitro eat the bearing down to metal to metal so i hate the stuff and it aint worth it to me to spend a fortune on setting it up for nitro then another fortune to repair what the nitro does so if interested in a nitro setup pm me and we can do some buisness..i have both needles 20%-40% special made for the 52mm lectron w/2-3 powerjets..

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
the only way to do nitro efficiently is by injection such as the top fuel cars/bikes run. but that is costly and not a reliable path to take.Nitro is in your motor as soon as it starts all the way until you pull the cases and clean them out. nitrous is cheaper and if set up correctly more dependable in every way than NITRO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (2slo4u @ Aug 23 2009, 07:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54055the only way to do nitro efficiently is by injection such as the top fuel cars/bikes run. but that is costly and not a reliable path to take.Nitro is in your motor as soon as it starts all the way until you pull the cases and clean them out. nitrous is cheaper and if set up correctly more dependable in every way than NITRO.
There's more than one way to set up a Nitro system, you don't have to premix with your fuel ya know.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i understand if i would run it i would need to redo my fuel system. just a thought i had to make a alky/nitro motor.

few more questions. does nitro like high or low compression? do you need to advance or retard timing? i would assume you would need a good piston and rod. what kind of porting/ camshaft setup is need?

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
QUOTE (jadleybray @ Aug 24 2009, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54076There's more than one way to set up a Nitro system, you don't have to premix with your fuel ya know.
i know that, but its still going to get into the cases. with the amount of fuel that has to be run you wont keep it from passing the rings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (2slo4u @ Aug 24 2009, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54100i know that, but its still going to get into the cases. with the amount of fuel that has to be run you wont keep it from passing the rings.

True, but you can drastically limit the actual time that nitro is in your system by runnin through a power jet only. When the power jets arenAkt activated the meth is flushing the motor

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
would it be possible for a stock bore stock stroke 450 to break 70hp with a 20-35% mixture? sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a project ready for this winter...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.