ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyones using.... I see that alot of shee guys run 9's. I personally have been running the b8es. My motor is on alky w/ +7 deg timing. Just curious if there wld be a diff w/ the b9es.... Im goin to pick up a cple to take w/ me to the track and try one out. W/ the b8es the plug looks good and all. I have always used the b8es w/ race gas. But now im on alky.

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
I tried the two different heat range plugs on the dyno. It is pretty tough to tell the difference. The only thing we did notice was a slight advantage with the hotter plug (b8es) when the motor was cold. The colder plug (b9es) seemed to make a little more hp when the bike was hot. I think it is so close to call that trying both plugs at the track would be the way to go. Pay attention to when you try the plugs though; on a hot or cold motor.

Good luck,

Mailman

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
QUOTE (Mailman @ Jun 24 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47966I tried the two different heat range plugs on the dyno. It is pretty tough to tell the difference. The only thing we did notice was a slight advantage with the hotter plug (b8es) when the motor was cold. The colder plug (b9es) seemed to make a little more hp when the bike was hot. I think it is so close to call that trying both plugs at the track would be the way to go. Pay attention to when you try the plugs though; on a hot or cold motor.

Good luck,

Mailman

Don't want this to sound smart-a** at all, but why would you do a dyno run on a "cold" motor. I know, or am guessing it wasn't completely cold as that would be crazy, but what do you define "cold" and "hot" as.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Jim, get away from those ES series plugs. Those are accidents waiting to happen. The electrode is larger and leaves the porcelain thinner. I have seen a few of them on alky run a little lean and break the porcelain. We all know the engine doesnt like ceramic on top LOL

Run a B9EG or B9EGV gapped at .018 and let her eat.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the input....I am gonna pick up some 9's and try em out this weekend at the track.

I have always gapped em at .018 so im good there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jun 24 2009, 02:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47974Don't want this to sound smart-a** at all, but why would you do a dyno run on a "cold" motor. I know, or am guessing it wasn't completely cold as that would be crazy, but what do you define "cold" and "hot" as.

No offense taken. We get the motor warmed up then do 3 back to back runs. The motor is gradually getting hotter and hotter with each run. By "hot" I meant the 2nd or 3rd run. By "cold" I mean the 1st run after the motor is warmed up. We would never try to do a stone cold run otherwise you would see me post some "blown motor" posts.

Mailman

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Have you guy ever seen a temp difference in water temp between the two. I'm kinda thinkin I'd be better off with the hotter plug running a little fatter on the powerjet. My cub likesd timing and fuel but I'd like to keep it on the cool side. Ya Rico most run .018 to .020 on alky they like a close gap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jun 25 2009, 02:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48058Bubba...no offense, but I've had issues with the thinner strapped EGs and EGVs, and no spark plug related issues with the ES series.
A good racing friend over here also had a piston taken out with the EG series, whereas an ES only melted the ground strap when it went a little lean...

To each is own...

the es's do fine. the main reason for a thinner wire electrode is that it will have better ignitability with richer air fuel ratios.. it takes less energy to produce a spark with a finer wire and that helps maintain more consistancy of fire in lets say a 5.5:1 A/F ratio

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
The ES series will work, however given the exact knowledge as posted why would a person ever want to run them?

Cost would be the only factor, but if you have a high performance engine then the cost difference of a plug is negligible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (blasterman88 @ Jul 1 2009, 09:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48831i run resistors in mine..... BR8EIX i think is what they are???

If i remember correctly, i think the "R" means it is a "resistor" type plug. The "EIX" should mean your running an irriddium plug. theyre expensive but ive heard they work good. dont know how they run with alky tho.....ive thought about tryin them once my motors up and running, but ive always had good luck with the BR9ES.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jul 14 2009, 08:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=50157Correct. R is resistor.
I ran/tried the EIX.
The only difference I felt is a lighter wallet...

hahaha...yeah ive always wondered if they would really make a difference or not. like i said, my motor ran fine with the ES plug. in fact i even asked the NGK representative about it once and he really couldnt tell me whether or not the EIX would make a difference. maybe on a dyno you may see some slight differences but prolly nothing major.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.