ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (tripledsracing @ Jun 22 2009, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47673it messes up the fuel flow,if i was you i would run them..but u can port them out quit a bit..
well heres the thing i have been having problems with my bike running all of a sudden and couldnt figure it out til today it hit me that it might be the reeds even though they look visually in good shape. the reeds i had before that came with the bike didnt have the stoppers on there but they did have some little blue pieces at the base of the petals that i now think may have taken the place of the stopper. anyway i switched to vitos 2 stage carbon fiber petals without stoppers and they ran fine for a while but all of a sudden ive been having nooooo topend bike starts fine good bottom and mid then just falls off when it revs. could the reeds be staying open too long under the high rpms because of not having the stopper? or maybe my reeds are just worn and dont have the spring to them that high revs require??

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I really don't know if the stoppers are "necessary", but I ran and still run my reed cages (stock) without them, haven't had any problems to date. Your reeds may be worn a little, check to see if they seat flush to the cage. If there is a gap between the petal and cage, flip the reeds over. If there is still a gap no matter which way you flip the reeds, then replace them.

If you're losing top end power, and haven't changed anything, check your compression. A worn out reed will affect starting and low throttle/throttle sensitivity more than anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jun 23 2009, 05:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47724I really don't know if the stoppers are "necessary", but I ran and still run my reed cages (stock) without them, haven't had any problems to date. Your reeds may be worn a little, check to see if they seat flush to the cage. If there is a gap between the petal and cage, flip the reeds over. If there is still a gap no matter which way you flip the reeds, then replace them.

If you're losing top end power, and haven't changed anything, check your compression. A worn out reed will affect starting and low throttle/throttle sensitivity more than anything.
the compression is good i just had the topend re-done checked the compression friday and it has 175 cold

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Mine acted like that and it was my 200 watt ricky stator.ran great till 8000 rpms and pulled past it but made no real hp up to 10K like it should.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Radar @ Jun 23 2009, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47801Mine acted like that and it was my 200 watt ricky stator.ran great till 8000 rpms and pulled past it but made no real hp up to 10K like it should.
well we thought it might be the stator at one point too so i switched stators with my friend and that didnt fix it so after i run it with new reeds if that doesnt fix it im going to install the new stator i bought for it when that was what we thought the problem was. we will see

·
Registered
803 Posts
QUOTE (chvy91bowtie @ Jun 23 2009, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47858well we thought it might be the stator at one point too so i switched stators with my friend and that didnt fix it so after i run it with new reeds if that doesnt fix it im going to install the new stator i bought for it when that was what we thought the problem was. we will see
We run ported stockers with TDR Epoxy reeds and no stoppers with no problems in the last 5-8 years.The carbon fiber reeds for stock cages are junk IMHO.I tried em' along time ago and they would break quick on stock"ish" bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.