ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

Banshee transmission

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Desy17 
#1 ·
Been thinking about it a little bit lately. At what horse power, torque, and weight are billet gears or full billet transmissions needed? Are there any other mods that can be done to a transmission to increase strength and reliability. I have heard of cryo freezing them and such.

Also, im sure there is a difference for asphalt vs sand so lets remember to consider that.

#5 ·
Dave...
Having a tranny cut right by a good trans man is critical...
I've seen crap cut trannys grenade on smaller motors, well cut work fine on big motors.

IMO...once you get up over 120 to 130 HP, billet 2nd and possible straight cuts.
150 to 160....it's a good investment.

I wouldn't waste my money on either for my 10 mil cub.

Our friend Sean has a 800 plus cc Twister, he's lunched a few trannies already.
He's in the process of getting a full billet tranny... He's at the 180 to 190 HP without NOS I believe.

At some point, IMO...you get to the point of it being insurance rather than a necessity.

#6 ·
I ran a mine on my DM for a year with zero troubles and there's nothing billet on it. I pulled it out of the cases and it was in mint condition. I have heard from several builders that the billet seconds might be stronger, but they wear very fast. Some issue with the heat treating. I plan on useing it in my be dmx. I feel that it really depends on the tranny and who cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.