ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
For a 300 foot race, I'd put on what makes the most HP and Torque the soonest.

J...how much tuning did you do per pipe? Timing, jetting, etc?

Who ported the cub? I'd like to see a cub ported for SB and a cub ported for BB for an all out comparison...but I realize that will never happen.

Kevin @ HJR told me I should be running SB on my 10 cub, I'm just wasting any more money on pipes unless I had a concrete reason to...that'll show up as a number on a slip.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Stop talking smack about the Lectrons already J...LOL.

J/K.

Good research, like you said...the track numbers don't lie.

I hate relying on a dyno to be honest...it's cool to F around on, but too many a man left a dyno session with his head down thinking that number meant much...you know what I'm saying.

I think the new SB pipes have only been out a year or two at most.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I was just teasing about the Lectrons J, you know that...

Really should measure squish with the domes on the motor.

high .040s to mid .050s is fine. I run mid to high 50s. I'm gonna cut that down a little and get low 50s for this year.

I need it to come out of the hole a little harder for my fat arse.

My plugs are normally a little wet when I come back off a run...I'm fine with that. I run a pump and big bowls, too. Overkill, but why fix what ain't broke!

It takes a couple passes to get heat on the plugs...

I run 20cc alky cut domes on mine J. I have a set from HJR and a set from Dan Wade @ Patriot.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I like to run a looser squish but more timing personally....if I tightened up mine to low .040's I'd have to back off the timing, which is easily adjustable.

I hate changing domes...lol.

Bubba...some tracks we go to (went to) you could make 3-5 passes back to back, as fast as you could get in line.

That tighter squish builds a little too much heat for my taste.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Somehow, somewhere...it was stated that anything bigger than a 4 mil cub should have BB pipes.

When I talked to you Matt a couple years ago, you stated the BB were initially designed for a 535 Cheetah and anything smaller should be on the SB pipe.

I would agree that if you ran the same time with each pipe, down to 60 and MPH the motor is not tuned to optimize the pipe chosen.

That also being said, not everyone has the resources to tune max power using a dyno and different setups/combos.

Most are like me, we change a part here or there and try different things at the track like fuel, tire pressure, tires, gearing, etc.

If Everyone had the time to hit the dyno before they raced each time, we might push this sport faster.

Then again, I've seen bikes hot off the dyno melt in real world riding due to temps/load being different than that of the dyno.

So I guess my statements are about as clear as mud too...lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.