ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Somehow, somewhere...it was stated that anything bigger than a 4 mil cub should have BB pipes.

When I talked to you Matt a couple years ago, you stated the BB were initially designed for a 535 Cheetah and anything smaller should be on the SB pipe.

I would agree that if you ran the same time with each pipe, down to 60 and MPH the motor is not tuned to optimize the pipe chosen.

That also being said, not everyone has the resources to tune max power using a dyno and different setups/combos.

Most are like me, we change a part here or there and try different things at the track like fuel, tire pressure, tires, gearing, etc.

If Everyone had the time to hit the dyno before they raced each time, we might push this sport faster.

Then again, I've seen bikes hot off the dyno melt in real world riding due to temps/load being different than that of the dyno.

So I guess my statements are about as clear as mud too...lol.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hear ya dajogejr. If we all had dynos to use we could be faster. Keeping the same combo for awhile and using the track times will get you some answers. I also use an air density gauge and keep track of everything. It just takes a lot longer to get them fine tuned like that. Matt made me a set of small bores one out each side, and I had him do the ends with a turn out. Man the people at the dragstrip hate that I think. Talk about loud when they point right at you LOL. I love those pipes though. They wont be going anywhere.......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I also use an air density meter and monitor tire pressure before nearly every pass; noting how the 60 ft times correlate to the pressure for the given track conditions. Once you get the a/f dialed in by the meter, you rarely ever have to pull the plugs. IN fact I usually use the same plugs that were purged on from the previous race if the a/d is about the same. If it's way different, I'll put in a fresh set so I can get a new reading.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been running bb shearers on the 10mill cub for about 5 years. Tired a set of sb snipers this past weekend. Let me tell you they seemed to pull a hell harder out of the hole and harder on top. ran my best e.t this year with them in 500ft. 5.9

They changed my gearing a good bit and have more r's turning so the gearing I always run was to tall. Once the gearing is right I think the bike will be quicker then it has ever been. mph is about the same but I was shifting into 5th right before the finish line. So theres more in it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind trying those. I have BB and SB CPIs I could try also. That's a lot of pipe swapping for the track, though; when it's probably just gonna run about the same. I really don't like lots of dyno runs, because the dyno seems to be harder on my engines than the track.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts