ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a Nitrous kit for my 4mill stock cy motor on ALKY by Jeff at FAST.

What all has to be changed to run it?? Can i use the same reeds? etc?

I have also read anything from 25 shot on down you can run with the timinig as is ?

How long will an engine run before needing a rebuild running nitrous on it lets say average 40 shot and thats saying its dialed in correctly.

And what parts does it wear on the most?

Any help would be great and any ideas with it properly set up with a 40-50 shot how much do you think it will bring the bikes time down in the 1/8?

One last question lets say your spraying a 50 shot to it set up right how much HP do you think your actually getting to the ground????? Is it close to 50 actual rwhp??

Any help would be great and links to the best nitrous kit

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
You will need to run epoxy reeds. TDR sold them, and I believe Boyeson also makes the epoxy reeds. Carbon fiber reeds will crack and break apart.

20 shot and under, timing can remain the same. But to be honest, your cylinder/head setup has a lot of factor in how you set your timing/nitrous. You won't be able to go from a 20-50 shot unless you have your engine set up to spray a large amount. This is where a lot of people screw up...by just slapping a "bolt-on" nitrous kit on their bike and putting a large shot in there, when their compression and timing is too high. I highly recommend starting off on a 20 shot, fine tune it, then go to a 30 shot, tune that, then slowly go up to where you want to be. Check your plugs after every few passes...

I seriously doubt you'll get a lot of life out of stock cylinders spraying a 40-50 shot, but it truly boils down to how you set it all up. It may last one pass, it may last 10 passes... Reliability has always been determined on how well the engine has been built, how many corners cut, etc. But you also have to consider how much a stock cylinder can tolerate before you break stuff. I can't answer that question for sure, I've never sprayed stock cylinders so I have no idea how much they can withstand.

Your crank and pistons/rings will take the most abuse IMO, don't bother spraying it unless the crank has been welded.

You need to decide whether or not you want to spray it all the time, or some of the time, and set your bike up accordingly. That is the best advice I can give...

I personally don't care for the boss noss kits. I have the NX pirhanna kit on mine, ran a 20 and 30 shot on my 421 cub. Any higher would have been too much, and I didn't notice any performance gains when I went up to a 30 shot, simply because my compression and timing was too high, and I came close to damaging stuff...The NX express kit is nice, I really like mine. It's pretty simple to install and the tech support was great.

Make sure you get a fuel safety switch, and a purge kit is also a nice addition to make...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hope this doesn't sound to dumb but when you say 20 shot do you mean 10 per cylinder = 20 or 20 per cylinder? I'm not a nitrous guy(yet).lol

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I've got a BOSS NOSS kit I'll be putting on my bike once I work out any bugs and tuning issues (new chassis and freshly ported motor)
Once I've got mine tuned in, I'll either be hitting 10 or 15 HP per hole with the BOSS NOSS kit.

You'll find most of the people that don't like the BOSS NOSS kit have never actually tried it for themselves.
(Not a knock against my boy bigboy, just saying in general)

I personally know two people that use it, love it....and still use it. One is a drag race single cylinder Honda ATV, the other is a twin cylinder snowmobile.

I personally like the principles and design of the system. However....like a boost bottle, sometimes theories don't play out. I'll report back once I get a chance to bottle feed mine on the BOSS NOSS kit....

This will be on my 10 mil cub on methanol, by the way....

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Mar 5 2009, 12:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33262You'll find most of the people that don't like the BOSS NOSS kit have never actually tried it for themselves.
(Not a knock against my boy bigboy, just saying in general)

yeah, yeah, yeah...We'll let the timeslips prove the difference (off bottle/on)

You and I have very similar plans and setups, should be an apples to apples comparison

·
Registered
6 Posts
but when is compression to high to run it????

my bike is track ready right now ,,just waiting on my buddy to get his done....

but its set up with a 421 ported cub,,on alky witha 15 per hole 30 shot with 190+ compression ,,timing on +3

my nuzzles are tapped in to my filter so ,, i wont get as much shot as i would spraying in front of the carb will i???

i a havent tried it out yet but i wanna make sure that 190+ com can handle a 30 shot with that low of timing

i ran timing @ +7 on motor and i always heard back the timing down 1.5 degrees for every 10hp shot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.