ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a broken upper motor mount bolt broke in the frame stator side. I'm to picky with my stuff and definitly want to get this thing taken out and have a bolt in it. I got to looking at it though and would be hard to get a drill in there to drill it out and use a ez-out to back it out. What would you do in this situation?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No this one don't. It's the bolt on the frame rail that goes from the bottom of the frame to the top by the tank.

It's not the lower but upper. You can see the bolt on the top on the clutch cover side but not the stator side. That's where the bolt is broke off into and you can't drill it from the other side.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
take that motor mount bracket off... might be easier to get at.
did the head pop off the bolt..?
if so.. u should be able to take the bottom bolt and then the other bolt to the motor out.. and the bracket will come off. then u should be able to get to the bolt in the frame alittle easier.

just take a jack (put a towel on top) and jack ur motor up alittle so u can take the front bolt out...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i was planning on taking the motor completley out so i can have better access to the broken bolt. The head and part of the actual bolt broke up so it's flush with the frame so i have to drill and ez out it. Just was wondering if there was a better tool to get in there other than a drill and a drill bit cause there is no way i can drill it in straight being where the broken bolt is located.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly what i need. What kind do you have how much did you spend on it? I know i have to drill a straight hole through the bolt so the ez-out isn't so hard getting it out. I believe it's just powdercoat built up or surface rust in the threads that binded it up and just snapped being they were not so strong stock yamaha bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
it is a cheap one...if you get one make sure you get the square easy out's they grip alot better then the round ones.

I have all the stuff if you need it cody just let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you have a angle air drimmel ? it will only fit a few bits but, they should be close to what you need (just watch your bit speed!)

Ditto on the square ez's ...you can weld a nut back on whats left &
thread it out, if you dare?

·
Registered
85 Posts
alot of times when a head breaks off the bolt looses all of its tension, usually you can just use a good center punch or small sharp chisel and tap the bolt out, by hitting it around in a counterclockwise direction. most of the time this works for me but if not then get out your 90, drill it and spin it out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Woah. Why would you want to do this with an air tool? Even if you had the adjustable ones I don't think it would go slow enough to not damage anything. I'm on your side with the 90degree drill though. Just a cheap one though. That will go nice and slow.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I got a cheapy from Harbor Freight Cody...I haven't even used it yet, just had to have one...LOL.
If you don't have a harbor freight around you...hit me up, I'll send you mine. Or take Bobby up on his offer...

That's what sucks about PC....can't heat stuff up to get it out.

Run a tap through that hole with lots of oil once you get it out!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jan 3 2009, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=23754I got a cheapy from Harbor Freight Cody...I haven't even used it yet, just had to have one...LOL.
If you don't have a harbor freight around you...hit me up, I'll send you mine. Or take Bobby up on his offer...

That's what sucks about PC....can't heat stuff up to get it out.

Run a tap through that hole with lots of oil once you get it out!!
Alot of times u can use a left handed drill bit and it will pull the bolt right out.Takes about 10 seconds.Use a variable speed drill and go slow.The bit will turn the bolt instead of drilling in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.