We grabbed a sawzall -

Then it looked like this ...

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark.

Won't be too aweful different. A little longer, a little lighter & hopefully a little more stable on the hose.

Andy Morris is currently working the chassis over a touch.

LOL - I dunno 'bout that Jason ... you bring as much to the table, if not more, than I do ...

I do look like I know what I'm doing programming the Dyna though ... even if I don't ... lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is Mr. Cable's best teen ... the rest that day were .18 - .19 - .19 - .20 & stuff ... Bike in the 280+# range - Jason in the 230+# range.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2010 was the 2nd season on these - literally several hundred passes & just 2 sets of rings.

You porters out there - critisism welcomed - where can they be improved ?

What does the shape of the exhaust favor ?

66.5 x 58

Attachments

·
Banned
328 Posts
I can give a little critism even though I am not a porter. Its things I have learned the hard way(engine failure).

Cutting the sleeve down so far does not improve anything and what it does do it weaken the bottom of the sleeve. Just look at the view showing the look at the intakes from the inside of the cylinder. There isn't a lot of metal left there and it makes the sleeve crack there easily. I wouldn't run it after it is .060 over because then the thinness adds to the weakness. and I can tell you from experience that when that sleeve breaks off, it a whole new motor time.

You mentioned that you did not go through many rings last year so I assume the exhaust width is also new because that is WAY beyond a safe limit. I also think the exhaust port should be higher, but this is a 4mm and I have never worked on one so they might be in the right spot, depending how you are spacing the motor. You should round those edge off of the exhaust ports especially when they are that wide.

And what about the rod distortion from the NOS?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. ... lol ... will do Dave, was actually taking a pic of something else ... but my belly got in the way

Mike, I feel ya on the exhaust port width ... but, it hasn't been recently done ... the ports & bore (+.100) have remained untouched since we got them done originally. I don't know to what attribute the ring longevity is owed ... maybe the port time that the rings are actually being asked to bridge the widest portion of the port, with the immediate radius of the roof guiding them back in ? ?

On the rod distortion ... 3 season ago we had a bad go with making the rods look like a banana ... since then ... we have found a few things, to include a nice ignition lead angle, that have kept the rods in their original shape - lol

How high are you ... thinking the exhaust port needs to be ? There is no spacer plate, just a .020 gasket.

That makes sense, on the porting of the bottom of the skirt for longevity ... but, I was under the impression that the sleeve should match the cutaway under the wrist pin, while the piston is at BDC, as to not create an uneccesary obstacle for the latter portion of charge heading toward the transfer tunnels ?

Sure would like to hear Bubba's POV on the ports also, the dude impresses me with his widdlin' abilities - as well as anyone else that cares to share ...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts