ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had this damage to our Raptor on the 26th of June. It was around 100 degrees on that day and it was simply too hot for towing a heavy trailer. The heat combined with the tires we had on the trailer ended up with a big mess for us. We spent about $700 that day to replace all 6 tires just to get home. We were an hour from Cloud 9 in southern Missouri and didn't even get to go camping.

Long day.

Check your tire pressure!!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had similar problems with my hauler.. Went through 4 tires in less then 100 miles.

How old is the trailor and were them the original tires? My blow outs were not from temps. My tires looked perfect. No weather checking and LOTS of tread. Still looked new. I checked my pressure religously. After my tires blew out.. I wanted some answers as to why they blew. I was using carlisle tires which were the orginal tires on my 2003 sandpiper. I had all my blow outs in 2006. I ended up finding this bit of information while looking for answers.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/t...tire_poster.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
My cherokee toyhauler came with chinese made hercules tires that I know aren't rated for heavy trailer use.I haven't replaced them yet but I worry about them.I had a wheel bearing go out in may and caught the grease and brakes on fire, not cool with a 32 gallon gas talk built in right behind the rear axles. I'm pretty dissapointed in the overall build of all campers.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
QUOTE (Fouledout421 @ Aug 27 2009, 10:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=54619I had similar problems with my hauler.. Went through 4 tires in less then 100 miles.

How old is the trailor and were them the original tires? My blow outs were not from temps. My tires looked perfect. No weather checking and LOTS of tread. Still looked new. I checked my pressure religously. After my tires blew out.. I wanted some answers as to why they blew. I was using carlisle tires which were the orginal tires on my 2003 sandpiper. I had all my blow outs in 2006. I ended up finding this bit of information while looking for answers.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/t...tire_poster.pdf
Good find!
I recently had the same kind of experience. I pull a 2003 32' Wells Cargo goose neck conversion that runs 16" LT tires. I have had it 2 years. It came to me with 4 new (looking) Goodyear truck tires and I keep them properly inflated. Last month I lost 3 of them in 1 trip, 1 going and 2 coming home. After losing the 1st 1, I really didn't think much about it, assumed I ran over something and it just went flat and came apart.
Tires have serial # that includes a date code, the last 3-4 numbers are the date of manufacture (Info). After the 2nd and 3rd went I checked and these tires were made in 2002, they probably came new on the trailer. Luckily, I didn't tear anything up and made it home without too much delay.
If you don't know for sure what you have under you, or your trailer, go out and CHECK THEM NOW!

·
Registered
201 Posts
In doing research after my last trailer had a major failure that had us dropping it off at a muffler shop, walking away and leaving it for scrap....I found many trailer/RV owners that swear that tires have a life of 5-7 years. No matter how they are stored. Cheap tires are always a bad choice. Many trailers come with cheap tires, but the cost of a tire failure can get very high if it beats up the trailer body. Also, I've seen more than a few trucks that got pulled off the road or on their sides from an out of control trailer. Check your date codes and try not to roll the dice. It's NOT a matter of how many miles the trailer has gone on the tires. It's more about the overall life of the tire. My new trailer is an open 3 place with 15" tires. I'll be changing them at the 7 year mark. For an enclosed car hauler or even bigger, a heavy toy hauler I'd think about replacing the tires after 5 years. On a dual axle trailer, if one tire goes.....the other will be soon behind. (the one really puts a beating on the other at speed) Like "tedd1" said.....Check them today while this post is fresh in your mind. I won't mix brands or sizes and I rotate my spare thru the others to keep wear even. 1 slightly taller tire can cause big trouble. OK, that's my 2 cents....LOL. Drive safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.