ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres the deal, I want to switch my duner to alky and upgrade to bigger carbs at the same time but I don't know which/size brand to get. My banshee has a stock stroke/ long rod 350 with a dune port, I have 16, 17, and 19 cc domes for it. It has a dynatech ignition and adjustable timing plate, lightened frame, override, lockup blah blah blah. I can tune the motor, no worries there. Just not sure what size carbs to buy. I am looking for something reasonably priced that will work well with alky and that I can readily buy jets/parts for. The bike has t5's on it but I might possibly pick up a set of cpi's before summer also. I mostly drag on the flats and I also take it to the track for some test and tune once in a while. One more thing, will I need to run a pump on this??

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
that is true.. ive always heard the pwk 's are a better carb. ive heard 34 pj's are kind of a pain to dial in.
i never did get my 34 pj's dialed in (right) .. i got pretty close. that was on gas.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Dec 28 2008, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22957that is true.. ive always heard the pwk 's are a better carb. ive heard 34 pj's are kind of a pain to dial in.
i never did get my 34 pj's dialed in (right) .. i got pretty close. that was on gas.

Thats the info I am looking for BEFORE I buy a set of carbs. I was thinkin 34's but wasn't sure because most of the bikes I see have bigger motors than mine. I see a lot of guys running bigger bowls and pumps, will I need this with my little 350?? I am hoping that once I buy some carbs maybe I can get some sort of baseline jetting from someone with a similar set-up to get me running.

·
Registered
803 Posts
QUOTE (Rumbleshee @ Dec 28 2008, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22962Thats the info I am looking for BEFORE I buy a set of carbs. I was thinkin 34's but wasn't sure because most of the bikes I see have bigger motors than mine. I see a lot of guys running bigger bowls and pumps, will I need this with my little 350?? I am hoping that once I buy some carbs maybe I can get some sort of baseline jetting from someone with a similar set-up to get me running.

PWK's or PJ's are easy to setup on alky.Personally I like the 35 pwk for a drag ported 350.Just stay away from the airstryker's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
PJ's are easy to tune on alky, IF they are set up right. I have run them and currently run them, have also run mikuni TM series, I like the fact they (Mikuni's) have the changeable dump tubes if you ever want to go back to gas. I run a 4mil cub with a pingle valve and do not use a pump and have had no problems.

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE (Rumbleshee @ Dec 28 2008, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22962Thats the info I am looking for BEFORE I buy a set of carbs. I was thinkin 34's but wasn't sure because most of the bikes I see have bigger motors than mine. I see a lot of guys running bigger bowls and pumps, will I need this with my little 350?? I am hoping that once I buy some carbs maybe I can get some sort of baseline jetting from someone with a similar set-up to get me running.

no just all you will need is a pingal. I run a 10mill cub 500ft drag 39pwks stock bowls no problems

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you aren`t strapped for cash, i`d have a shop set them up, give them some specs on motor setup and most can do them for you or you could buy some from someone that has some running but on most carbs once they are drilled out so far there no going down on dump tube size, except as was mentioned earlier, mikuni`s certain models can change dump tubes, i would think 35`s would be fine, i have ran 34pj`s, 35 and 36`s in the pwk line on my 350 but it was all drag, the 36`s ran the best for me, a new set aren`t cheap and usually a few diff size needles and pilots and main jets are needed for final tuning, whichever way you go i`m sure there are more to help with tuning them after you get them, most of the time stk or billet bowels will supply enough fuel with a dual pingel to ward off a pump, alky carbs also require powerjets, a good setup set can be very rewarding for power gains but a messed up set can be a real pain to tune and sometimes never get right

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (tripledsracing @ Dec 30 2008, 05:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=23090u got a pm?....i have a nice set of 38mm pwks alky with billet bowls for 400.00 shipped lmk

You can send me a pm, I am still undecided on what exactly I want though. I was thinkin something a little smaller than that, my bike has t5's and a dune port and I ride it in and out of the dunes. I just don't want to over carb the bike and have a non responsive untuneable mess. I also like the idea of using a carb that I can switch back to race gas later if I want but thats not a deal breaker.

What size domes should I put in the bike? I have 16's in it but just picked up some 19's. I originally had 17's in it and gained nothing with the 16's. I have since been told that I should have 18, or 19's in it but what would you guys run with the alky? Will it depend on my port timing? Thanks for all the help

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.