ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking into maybe trying to design a light weight chassis for my 05 trx450r, i saw a site that sells 1"O.D., .250"thick, .5" I.D. Do you think this will be strong, and will it be light enough to make all the work with it. i plan on keeping it suspended, just want to lightening it as much as possible without riding a diaster waiting to happen.

thanks
-steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (pro-rider46 @ Jul 4 2009, 12:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49217... 1"O.D., .250"thick, .5" I.D. ...

HOLY HEAVY FRAME!! I used 1"x.058" Chromoly for my frame. It will be very light, if you dont have access to a TIG, or the chromo is a little too spendy, you can do regular DOM tubing, but you would have to go up in wall thickness, at least .065" if not thicker. Really depends on what you plan on doing with the frame. Mine, I can go thinner on the tubing because its a drag frame, and it will be suspended for the whoops I occasionally drag through. Wont be jumping or trail riding or anything that puts too much stress on the frame.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (pro-rider46 @ Jul 5 2009, 08:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49267okay thanks guys, yeah i will look into some chromoly tubing, it doesnt look to expensive.

btw, what is DOM?

where do you guys get your chromoly tubing?

DOM is Drawn over Mandrel. It is basically just HREW, Hot rolled electric welded that has been drawn over a mandrel to flatten out the weld seam, making it stronger and there isnt a weak spot in the tubing anywhere. Chromoly is a different kind of material. DOM/HREW is 1018, and Chromo is 4130. They have different alloys. The thing that I have noticed about the guys here, they dont get their frames re-heattreated after welding. Welding changes the characteristics of chromo and makes it weak around the weld area. But i guess its not too big of an issue in a quad frame, not as much stresses. I know doing cages for trucks, they would go out for heat treat. Since my frame is going to be dunable, i will re-weld and heat treat if it ever cracks. And I just ordered my metal through my job. Not sure about the guys in your area. I pay $70 for a 20ft stick of 1x.058 Chromo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, i see. Well this winter, hopefully i can get about 36 feet of 4130, and take it to my tech shop and tig weld it. i dont think i will really have to heat treat it based off the fact it only runs 500 feet at a time.

well, thank you guys for your help.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Holy Crap....049 for frame rails. You wont see me on those chassis's, lol.

1018 is your standard CRS or Cold Rolled Steel. 1020 and 1026 is your standard DOM. 1026 is not far off from having the same shear strength as 4130 Chromoly. I know of a couple of shops that prefer to use DOM over 4130 due to the issues with brittle weld joints. Heat treating or "Normalizing" releaves the stress and re-alines the molicules in the material that were affected from welding. I continue to use 4130 for everything mainly because thats what the customers want or at least believe thats what they need.

·
Registered
152 Posts
QUOTE (AZCUSTOMQUADS @ Jul 29 2009, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=51628Holy Crap....049 for frame rails. You wont see me on those chassis's, lol.

1018 is your standard CRS or Cold Rolled Steel. 1020 and 1026 is your standard DOM. 1026 is not far off from having the same shear strength as 4130 Chromoly. I know of a couple of shops that prefer to use DOM over 4130 due to the issues with brittle weld joints. Heat treating or "Normalizing" releaves the stress and re-alines the molicules in the material that were affected from welding. I continue to use 4130 for everything mainly because thats what the customers want or at least believe thats what they need.

I would go along with that.

Tensile strength is the term you were looking for, not shear strength.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Bunch of pansies. I have a .035/.049 Lonestar DUNE chassis. I even had a head on collision at the top of the Pismo flats about 5 years ago (68-69mph) and the chassis was STRAIGHT. Bent steering stem/a-amrs, but the chassis was straight. The 400ex that pulled in front of me ended up a lot worse.

I don't recommend these chassis, and I don't think Lonestar even sells them any more, but its pretty bad a$$.

·
Registered
677 Posts
QUOTE (FireHead @ Jul 30 2009, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=51672I would go along with that.

Tensile strength is the term you were looking for, not shear strength.

Ah yes......thanks firehead. That was what I meant

QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Jul 30 2009, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=51753Bunch of pansies. I have a .035/.049 Lonestar DUNE chassis. I even had a head on collision at the top of the Pismo flats about 5 years ago (68-69mph) and the chassis was STRAIGHT. Bent steering stem/a-amrs, but the chassis was straight. The 400ex that pulled in front of me ended up a lot worse.

I don't recommend these chassis, and I don't think Lonestar even sells them any more, but its pretty bad a$$.

WOW. Are you sure it was a lonestar. I know Jeff at metaltech told me he had made a few .049 chassis's but that he would never do it again. .035 has no place on any dune or hillshooter chassis. I have some .049 that just sits on the rack because I just wont use except for some simple cross bars. Its just not worth the liability. Its bad enough that if someone crashes, the first thing everyone does is try to blame the builder. Even if the product was being misused, they still turn to the fabricator and point the finger.

I remember seeing the post on PS about the aluminum drag chassis with a turbo huyabusa motor in it. A heim joints busted and the bike crashed bad. Well the entire frame got mangled in the crash. Next thing you know, everyone started bagging on the chassis design, quality of build, etc. But in the end, It wouldnt have mattered if it was chromoly, titanium, etc. With how fast the bike was going when it crashed, any chassis would have gotten twisted up like this one did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the tubes are in tension the 0.035" will perform as well as the .058" as long as the welds are solid and gusseted. I used .049 lower rails and .065 uppers on my punisher bike its a strong hillshooter frame and only weighs in around 27lbs

I would stress releive chromoly chassis not heat treat them..

I like aluminum chassis but they absolutly need to be heat treated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.