ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys this is partial my mistake but see what you think. I order ne wpistons from Trinity for my cheetah . Well it have 73.5 on the cy head and on the pistons with the part number 10018. I gave them the part number and told them that it had that part number and 73.5 on the head and piston. So they sent me some with the same part number and 73.5 on the pistons. We go and try to put it back together Friday night and the pistons wont fit? So i get my caliper out and the new but burned up pistons measure around 72.7???? And the new ones measure at 73.5 pretty close. My questions is what the heck do i need to order beens these have the same part number? Maybe ya'll can help or hopefully they know.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I believe what you are seing is the 73.5 on the dome. It is cut larger than the bore, usually by .5 so you most likely have a 73 mm bore based on your old piston measurement and the number on the dome.

btw; how did like the "new" piston prices at Trinity??? Retail of only $189.99 a set.

Be persistent and follow through on the return/exchange. The first time they sent me the wrong pistons it took 2 to 3 months and no less than 6 or more phone calls to get my credit back. Thanks Trinity for the great customer service.....not!

The second time it happened I had waited a few weeks then I got on the phone to James W. and made sure he put in the credit right away.

You can also measure your bore of your cylinders with calipers to be certain but it sounds like you have 73mm. I believe the pistons come in 72, 73, and 73.5 in the 10018 series. I don't think there is a 72.5mm but since your old pistons measured 72.7 ish then 73mm makes the most sense. If you took the measurement at the skirt then it will be smaller than the top portion of the piston.

Good Luck,

Mailman

·
Registered
420 Posts
I could've swore they make them in 72.5mm bore now. Maybe I'm wrong though. If you do have 73mm bore, than the part number I wrote is right off the box of my new pistons. Those are what you need. But, if they do make a 72.5, and that's what you have, then replace the 7300 at the end with 7250.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Either way, DON'T count on Trinity to do anything you ask the right way. They ( Harry, James, DJ ) couldn't orginize the time and material it takes to pick their nose. If they've "done right or well" for anybody....Trust me it was an accident. Buy from the site sponsers or a top builder so you have a buffer between you and Trinity.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (WINDYCITYJOHN400 @ Aug 2 2009, 10:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=52055Either way, DON'T count on Trinity to do anything you ask the right way. They ( Harry, James, DJ ) couldn't orginize the time and material it takes to pick their nose. If they've "done right or well" for anybody....Trust me it was an accident. Buy from the site sponsers or a top builder so you have a buffer between you and Trinity.

James always goes out of his way to make sure I am happy with my order. He even calls me on his down days just to see how the family is. Call them up, ask for James. Tell him Sonny from Pismo sent you to him, and he will make it right. While you have him on the phone, make sure he knows what an ugly SOB he is. Guaranteed discount...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
measure the damn cylinder. and what cc motor do you have what crank.. that might help with determining bore size.

there should be 3 numbers on the dome or head the cc of the dome, the squish angle and the MAX bore of the dome.

mine both are 73mm pistons they are h-2 kawasaki pistons and i think trinity specs them with the boosti ports in them

189.99 a set is a great price!!!!! wonder what m+m sells them for ... might have to redo the top end on the ole 535.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (camatv @ Aug 3 2009, 06:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=52139measure the damn cylinder. and what cc motor do you have what crank.. that might help with determining bore size.

there should be 3 numbers on the dome or head the cc of the dome, the squish angle and the MAX bore of the dome.

mine both are 73mm pistons they are h-2 kawasaki pistons and i think trinity specs them with the boosti ports in them

189.99 a set is a great price!!!!! wonder what m+m sells them for ... might have to redo the top end on the ole 535.

$189.99 per piston kit. Not for a set of two. I don't know why I used the word set. This Arizona sun is rotting my brain. I meant piston kit. With shipping and a base gasket that would put you over $400 to redo your top end. It almost makes you want to start melting down that stack of beer cans in the corner to make your own pistons.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the new pistons ,the right ones on the way. Should have it ready by Friday. Yes these pistons are priced crazy. You could buy a damn good set of pistons for a V8 auto engine for what these two cost.

If you could make a set from beer cans i'd be set lol. I could replace them monthly then .

·
Registered
713 Posts
QUOTE (kubitza123 @ Aug 4 2009, 05:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=52165Got the new pistons ,the right ones on the way. Should have it ready by Friday. Yes these pistons are priced crazy. You could buy a damn good set of pistons for a V8 auto engine for what these two cost.

If you could make a set from beer cans i'd be set lol. I could replace them monthly then .
lol good chitt right there hope it works out for ya mark

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trinity every1 else buys them from Trinity as well at a dealer price and sells them for the same or more from my understanding. They have to order 100 pistons at a time from Wiseco beeens they are special order or patend or some BS by Trinity.

Basically no matter where you buy them your going to get screwed lol because they are the same price everywhere which is way to much for two pistons.

Almost have had thoughts of selling the big motor for a completely built smaller one with blaster pistons or something thats not so high to repair even though i hope i dont have to worry with another repair for awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I purposefully try to put together somewhat generic/common motors so I can get parts and stuff quick and easy. If you call a 421 a common motor. Hope u get back up and rollin soon kubitza.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, Trinity sells other dealers the Cheetah cylinders and parts, because CP Industries only sells the original Cheetah's to Trinity, because they have part ownership of the patent. You can get other CP Industries cylinders without having to deal with Trinity. BUT, I got my 535 cylinder from M&M ATV for $600 less than the price Trinity told me. They sell parts to their dealers very cheap. The dealers don't raise the price as much as Trinity does, because they don't have the overhead that Trinity has. That's why you can get parts cheaper from the dealers, than from Trinity.

PS, this was told to me on the phone by one of Trinity's dealers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ok. This post has taken a bit of a turn but the original poster is taken care of so here we go.

I refused to pay the $190 x2 price through Trinity so I looked at all options that I could think of. First I called the few dealers who sometimes stock these pistons like M&M and TDR and a few others. My thinking was that I could find some old stock at the lower prices. Well TDR had 3 73 mm kits in stock for around $140 each. The problem for me was that I wanted 73.5 mm.
I then called Calvin to vent and he said you do have to buy 100 kits or so at a time to get a price break from Weisco. He said Trinity is the only shop that has been willing to do it. Believe it or not Weisco is the biggest to blame here. They did raise all of their piston prices way up. I think they are corporate run now where profit profit profit is the theme at Weisco.
I asked Calvin if any other company makes the piston. There were 2 options for me other than Trinity. Woessner designed a piston for this cheetah cylinder for a guy in New Zeland at the "2 Stroke Shop". My second option was to run the Kawasaki piston that is close to this one. Calvin said there would be "high" spots with the Kawi pistons and I could run them if I took my time and ran the bike a little then sanded down the high spots. No thanks. I thought the Woessner option sounded good so I contacted the 2 Stroke Shop for a piston quote. Heck, I thought I had just discovered sliced bread with this new info. The problem was that the Woessner pistons are only a single ring. They would put out a little more hp but would were twice as fast as the 2 ring Wiesco. I thought if I got them cheap enough then I would still do it just to spite Trinity. Here is the 2nd problem with the Woessner pistons; They are flat top pistons and require a special dome. Now I was a little worried but I pushed on. I got the quote back from the 2 Stroke Shop and it was over $200 per piston. That shot that option. I decided to try the "hidden" 3rd option. I sweet talked my local shop into passing their "dealer" price onto me. Their (my) price was only around $145 ish per piston. I bought 2 pistons and escaped a 2nd mortgage on my house.

Mailman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.