ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threw some 12 paddles on the cub this weekend and went to the river to see if I could get some traction. Once again that answer is no, launching in 2nd no traction, shift to 3rd, clutch slips, shift to 4th, clutch slips. I hadn't noticed it till Austin rode it and said somethin about it so I rode it and felt/heard it doin it. What I expect my problem is is that the arrow on the clutch arm is pointing outside (to the stator side) of the arrow on the case, and I think with the ASV lever bein kinda goofy and having so many damn adjustments that I'm either not getting a good full pull to release the clutch (because it is adjusted so far to the stator side) or it's not returning all the way and grabbing. The 2nd one sounds more like something that would cause it to slip like this but I could make arguments for both cases. I'm gonna pull the cover off and measure the fibers just to check that they're ok but when I installed them they looked more than good.

Also with the ASV lever it seems like it's hard to get any free-play in the lever b/c of the springed lever setup so I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to re-set it up.

I just found it odd to have a slipping clutch with a lockout, good fibers, and some paddles that weren't putting full strain on everything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jul 29 2008, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6912Threw some 12 paddles on the cub this weekend and went to the river to see if I could get some traction. Once again that answer is no, launching in 2nd no traction, shift to 3rd, clutch slips, shift to 4th, clutch slips. I hadn't noticed it till Austin rode it and said somethin about it so I rode it and felt/heard it doin it. What I expect my problem is is that the arrow on the clutch arm is pointing outside (to the stator side) of the arrow on the case, and I think with the ASV lever bein kinda goofy and having so many damn adjustments that I'm either not getting a good full pull to release the clutch (because it is adjusted so far to the stator side) or it's not returning all the way and grabbing. The 2nd one sounds more like something that would cause it to slip like this but I could make arguments for both cases. I'm gonna pull the cover off and measure the fibers just to check that they're ok but when I installed them they looked more than good.

Also with the ASV lever it seems like it's hard to get any free-play in the lever b/c of the springed lever setup so I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to re-set it up.

I just found it odd to have a slipping clutch with a lockout, good fibers, and some paddles that weren't putting full strain on everything.

Lockups can slip if there is no freeplay or if the hub is bottomed out to the pressure plates
the can also slip at lower rpm were the lock up isnt spinning fast enough to generate enough force.in this case you need stiffer springs.
Or there isnt enough weight on the lockup for the power..
and last i can think of is the fibers are glaised

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I can tell there is no free play ever since I put the ASV lever on it. I may throw my old EZ-pull on it just to see what it does before I tear into it. It was slipping at the top RPM's, not sure what springs are in it, whatever K&T put in when they built the motor. It's just a 421 cub, no clean up, 34pj's, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I've ran that same motor on 35PWKs on gas, FAST Clutch using all 6HD springs and no lockup.
I would make sure the ASV lever/clutch adjustment isn't out of whack.

I'd use 3HD, 3 stock springs after you check the adjustment....or swap levers.

As said, worn clutch or not enough weight...but standard nut/bolt on a DD style or even one ball bearing per groove in Kevin's Slingshot should hold that motor no problem.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
oh man again YOU HAVE TO HAVE FREE PLAY IN THE CLUTCH LEVER/ CABLE the arrow MUST be aligned when the clutch disengages..

a locker will slip if its held out AKA NO free play its just like slipping the clutch or riding the clutch. the locker needs freeplay so that it can squeze on the plates its not very much but the cable MUST HAVE SLACK IN IT AT ALL TIMES i check and adjust mine EVERY RUN i run cheapo to expensive ez adjust lever's on ALL my bike there is a reason that DIRTBIKES come STOCK with ez levers.. even stock bikes will heat and expand clutches and then cool down and release pressure.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (camatv @ Jul 30 2008, 01:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6975oh man again YOU HAVE TO HAVE FREE PLAY IN THE CLUTCH LEVER/ CABLE the arrow MUST be aligned when the clutch disengages..

a locker will slip if its held out AKA NO free play its just like slipping the clutch or riding the clutch. the locker needs freeplay so that it can squeze on the plates its not very much but the cable MUST HAVE SLACK IN IT AT ALL TIMES i check and adjust mine EVERY RUN i run cheapo to expensive ez adjust lever's on ALL my bike there is a reason that DIRTBIKES come STOCK with ez levers.. even stock bikes will heat and expand clutches and then cool down and release pressure.

Well on the last bike, no lockout it didnt work worth [censored] with the arrows aligned, but I did still have free play in the system. But like you said cam it is basically like it is being held open, very good advice there I won't lie. Now I just gotta get it adjusted right and I'll be good.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
you could just have burnt clutches look at the steels if they are blued its time for a new set,,if they are you might check the inner hub as well they can warp up to .03 U believe .what tranny fluid do you run>?

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jul 29 2008, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6912Threw some 12 paddles on the cub this weekend and went to the river to see if I could get some traction. Once again that answer is no, launching in 2nd no traction, shift to 3rd, clutch slips, shift to 4th, clutch slips. I hadn't noticed it till Austin rode it and said somethin about it so I rode it and felt/heard it doin it. What I expect my problem is is that the arrow on the clutch arm is pointing outside (to the stator side) of the arrow on the case, and I think with the ASV lever bein kinda goofy and having so many damn adjustments that I'm either not getting a good full pull to release the clutch (because it is adjusted so far to the stator side) or it's not returning all the way and grabbing. The 2nd one sounds more like something that would cause it to slip like this but I could make arguments for both cases. I'm gonna pull the cover off and measure the fibers just to check that they're ok but when I installed them they looked more than good.

A common mistake is to use the adjustment on the clutch lever (handlebar) to make the arrows on the case and clutch arm align. Not good. Use the adjuster on the pressure plate to get the arrows aligned. Once that is correct use the lever adjustment for cable slack. Your probably going to need a fresh set clutches an start fresh. Check all other components real good. I like to use three stock an three heavy springs then add more weight to the lockup.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clutch fibers are fine, barely worn, I was surprised. They are way within the spec according to the Clymers. Got it all adjusted with the pancake bearing on, arrows line up pretty well and has a little slack in the handle with quite a bit of adjustment. Have to go do a test ride to see what it's doin now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts