ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing the flywheel and it doesnt fit snug on the end of the crank. I can just set it on and it falls into place and lines up with the pickup gap like it should. I always thought the taper was to help keep the flywheel snug and seated somewhat. Woodruff key always isnt fitting very well.

Anyone else with aftermarket crank have these issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Aug 30 2008, 04:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9649try using a lapping compound and lapping it a bit.

See if the key fits snug in the crank, and snug in the flywheel. I've had to smooth mine out a hair with a die grinder and scotchbrite pad....

Trying to get the flywheel on and have it not spit that key out has caused quite a few fits of #@*%&@^[email protected]() to come from me....

i wouldnt do any grinding on it to easy to change stuff to quick. on mine i take lapping compound put it on the crank end and use the flywheel to lap in to make everything true. plus i put loctite on the keyway and a drop on crank shaft when installing flywheel. jmo

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I didn't mean grinding on the crank or flywheel.
I've taken a new key on a used flywheel, if it's tight fitting or won't fit into the groove off the bike, it sure as hell aint' gonna fit when it's ON the bike...LOL...

I make sure it fits smoothly and snug off the bike before it gets spit out 10 times on the bike, that's all...

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Aug 31 2008, 03:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9688I didn't mean grinding on the crank or flywheel.
I've taken a new key on a used flywheel, if it's tight fitting or won't fit into the groove off the bike, it sure as hell aint' gonna fit when it's ON the bike...LOL...

I make sure it fits smoothly and snug off the bike before it gets spit out 10 times on the bike, that's all...

i know what you meant i didnt quite word my response right wasnt throwing you under the bus lol

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
flywheel;s fit beautiful on my TDR cranks. no key way issue's you need to learn how to set the key and guide the rotor in place its impossible to explain but easy to see and over years of cranks on's and off's it just becomes natural..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts