ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have to put the bearings in the freezer or use the press. I just bought these cases used and went to install the crank bearings and one side required just a light tap with a rubber mallet and the other side just went in without and force. I put some shim stock around the bearing and tapped it in. The bearing is tight now but I'm still a little concerned.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Its possible the cases could have been cut to slip fit bearings...? My honda cases are slipfit, it makes it alot easier when tearing down....my require a lite tap w/ mallet

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I've had identical bikes where some the bearings come out easy and go right in and some are a pain I dont see it as a problem really if it fits good.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Honda cases are supposed to be a tolerance fit. Usually the case heated and the bearings frozen, or a good press to do the job. Once they start falling in then the cases are worn.

Take a punch and work the area around the outside of the bearing hole. About 1/8-3/16 inch and use a slightly blunted tip. Dont beat it too hard, but slowly peen the metal in a tad bit to tighten up the clearance. You can also peen the area where the bearing rides, but I dont do that unless it's a have to situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.