ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 10mm crank in a trade. the rods length is unknown. how can i get the length. also there is some slight play side to side in both rods. is this norm or does it need something new.

·
Registered
250 Posts
QUOTE (jtraptor660 @ Jul 30 2009, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=51762just picked up a 10mm crank in a trade. the rods length is unknown. how can i get the length. also there is some slight play side to side in both rods. is this norm or does it need something new.

There should be a certain amount of side play, can't remember off hand probably .025ish

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay as long as there is some. im sending it off to have it looked at next month. just curious if some was normal.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anybody know how to get the rod length of a crank. like i said the guy i got it from doesnt have a clue about it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can measure center to center, but it is kind of hard to get an accurate measurment with the rods on the crank. It is most likely either a 115 or a 120 rod. Another way to tell is the 120 rod will use the bigger pins. So the 115 will use a 16mm standard size banshee wrist pin, and the 120 will use a 18mm wrist pin. I cannot remember the outside dimensions of the top end bearings right off hand...... I think the small rod uses a 21mm od bearing? but I can check for you later when I am @ the shop if nobody else chimes in.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. sounds good. trying to figure this crank out. never really messed with a crank before. what do i need to look for to tell if it has the good TZ bearing in it. the guy said it does but not sure where to start looking or what to look for.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will just wait to send it in to get checked out then. lol. what do you charge to look over a crank and true and weld it if needed. i know it needs to be rewelded the welds are cracked a lil.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If it needed to be trued or welded, we would just send it down to Crankworks anyway. It would not be an economical move to ship it from Az, to Northern Ca, then back to Az, then back to norcal, then back to Az. LOL. I would say just send it, or take it in to them since they are in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea been there before.
my buddies nephew just went back to working there. he was there for years and then left for a year and just found out hes back. might get a smokin deal on some labor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To get an accurate rod length measurement measure from the outside of the big end pin to the outside of the wrist pin bore and subtract half of the bore and half of the big pin diameter. As said above it is likely either a 115 or 120 rod. If your standard banshee pin/bearing fit the wrist pin bore then it is probably the 115.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this crank actually might make it up to your shop brandon. i was talking to shay last night about it. just waiting to here from my buddies nephew. wont have to worry about shipping that way. hes local.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the crank went to a buddy at crankworks.. looked it over and said they were 120mm rods and a 24mm pin i believe. the bootom of the rods were pitted a lil bit nothing major. turns out it was a twister crank. not bad for a set of cracked shearer pipes (i swapped for the crank). so it will be torn down here soon and i should now if it gonna go through a rebuild. which it just might for my security.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.