ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good 2 stroke oil to run in a drag bike. i currently use red line in it at 50:1 cause thats what the previous owner ran in it. any thoughts on a good oil?

·
Registered
507 Posts
for alky Klotz supertechnoplate 32:1

for gas Yamalube 2R 36:1

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never torn down a blown engine because they used too much mix oil- its always the other way around!!!

Find a TCW-3 rated oil and mix it at least 32:1

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Ford Vs. Chevy Vs. Dodge...

As said...type of oil is hardly the problem...lack of oil, well, that's another story...

I can tell you it's important if you're purging your bike (methanol) to use a methanol compatible oil with your purge gas....

The methanol and gas will mix in the carbs from purging, and a non-meth compatible oil will gum up your carbs...been there, brake clean...solved.

If you run methanol, just make sure you run a meth compatible oil.
There was study/report somewhere that said two strokes continued to make more power with more oil all the way to 16:1....after that, the power gains were negligible..

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Hey Bill...
A few questions. Do you have any good source of Redline oils? I know some swear by it...and it's formulated just for methanol, etc.

Also...how are it's storage properties? I've always used Benoil...and now super techniplate in my bike.

But I know their storage properties are poo....

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Sep 14 2008, 05:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10702Hey Bill...
A few questions. Do you have any good source of Redline oils? I know some swear by it...and it's formulated just for methanol, etc.

Also...how are it's storage properties? I've always used Benoil...and now super techniplate in my bike.

But I know their storage properties are poo....

I have a couple of gallons (yes gallons) of redline oil. When I was using it I had to buy it by the case. Since then I've switched to 927. It is definitely good stuff, and I never lost a motor with it.

I remember one time I ran the motor lean because I didn't keep up with the weather and the entire piston burnt off on the exhaust side but it never stuck or tried to seize. I was impressed...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Dave.. cheapest place for us guys over here to get it is Summit Racing... Thats where I get mine.
I can't find any dealers for the alky mix over here.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't know how good my source is? It retails for $19 a quart. I am the only one locally that carries it, so I have to wait for it if I run out. What is Summit's price on it? From what I have seen, Oil can be very expensive to ship, as it is haz mat. The redline will stay suspended much longer than anything else I have seen, and it's corrossion protection is also the best I have seen, but I still wont use it if it has been stored much longer than a month. Some guys that use the redline say they don't even purge..... That is just playing with fire I.M.O.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
so whats the concensus on whats a good oil to mix with alky ? and whats a good oil to mix while purging ?

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
im useing royal purple for my clutch ...

maxima castor 927 for pre-mix

1 - 20 of 22 Posts