ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ftz oof pipe on my 250r no silencer just a straight stinger I was wondering if I put a silencer on it if it would help me or hurt me? It is soooo loud w/o it but revs really quick. I rigged up a silencer on it it quieted down alot but doesnt pull threw the gears as fast. My ? is are there any stingers or silencers that I could put on here that wont hurt it. FTZ makes a weld on one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (JP374 @ Aug 19 2008, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8636I have a ftz oof pipe on my 250r no silencer just a straight stinger I was wondering if I put a silencer on it if it would help me or hurt me? It is soooo loud w/o it but revs really quick. I rigged up a silencer on it it quieted down alot but doesnt pull threw the gears as fast. My ? is are there any stingers or silencers that I could put on here that wont hurt it. FTZ makes a weld on one.

How ever long the silencer is that you want to put on the pipe ? You need to cut that same length off the stinger tube. Then attach the silencer. You do not want to add to the length of the stinger tube, with a silencer. Adding a silencer to the end of the stinger tube will effect the way the pipe performs.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (duecebanshees @ Aug 19 2008, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8647How ever long the silencer is that you want to put on the pipe ? You need to cut that same length off the stinger tube. Then attach the silencer. You do not want to add to the length of the stinger tube, with a silencer. Adding a silencer to the end of the stinger tube will effect the way the pipe performs.

Ok so if my stinger is say 8" and i want to put a silencer on thats 10" what should I do? If I make the stinger longer w/o a silencer what would happen?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (carolina shaker @ Aug 19 2008, 10:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8653creates more back pressure the pip and changes the length of time it takes exhaust gases to exit the pip
Ok so if i went longer stinger it would slow down the bike? It revs like instantly with just a stinger but loud as hell. I am still getting it dialed in its breaking up on the top end bad but with the silencer it runs good. The pipe was made w/o silencer so I want to run it like that. Last year with my 310 I took it to the dragstrip ran it with silencer on and off and with it off I picked up 60ft times, and 5mph in the 1/8th mile it was wound right out by the 1/8th but with the silencer on it was pulling all the way down the 1/4.... which when racing 300ft I figured it would be a wast to run the silencer. just tryn to figure things out

·
Registered
473 Posts
what i would do is measure the inside diameter of the stinger on the pip , get you some pip the same size and cut you about 4 different lengths , have a muffler shop swell one end of the pip 4 they will slide over your stinger , maybe 4,6,7,8,10 or something like that and see what work's the best 4 you . thats always worked 4 me and its cheep and simple

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (carolina shaker @ Aug 19 2008, 11:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8669what i would do is measure the inside diameter of the stinger on the pip , get you some pip the same size and cut you about 4 different lengths , have a muffler shop swell one end of the pip 4 they will slide over your stinger , maybe 4,6,7,8,10 or something like that and see what work's the best 4 you . thats always worked 4 me and its cheep and simple
Yeah that a good idea. not sure if my pipe is made for a silencer or not I will call ftz and ask them, as far as the different stinger length go I will give your idea a try it is cheap and may work. Thanks I will post results

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah ive messin w/ diff ideas. I was thinking of calling up shearer and gettin one of his silencers with the flange & whole nine yrds and just welding that on I dont yet. I have a homemade silencer I have been running on there but when I try to get it dialed in w/o it it breaks up on the top end. I dont know if w/ it off I have to richen it or lean it out it breaks up pretty bad though. Maybe the stinger is too short and the gases are escaping to quickly

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I made up a silencer/stinger today it cam out pretty sweet. It runs way better. check it out let me know what you think.... I was thinkin of tryn to polish it or paint it black what do you guys think?

[attachment=84
4:Silencer_003.jpg]

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
looks great need to go into production with em

1 - 12 of 12 Posts