ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to drill my dumps bigger because with the power jets all the way open I am still leeeeean. When I pulled the carbs apart and checked them I got like .118. But when I looked down into the hole I noticed that (sorry for bad terminology) the part that bolts in from the top of the carb is not drilled out, I just want to make sure that is currect before I proceed. Do you guys understand what I am talking about?

·
Registered
579 Posts
How lean are you talking?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (2slo4u @ Apr 8 2009, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=37513do you have a pingle???? prolly running the bowls dry.......

I have a modded and ported stocker that flows some serious fuel,has dual outlets set up for 3/8 line. So you guys think My jetting should be good for a drag ported 421 on alky? I was told these carbs were set up by A+S for a drag ported 350 on alky.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i had the same set up that you have but mine was on a 70mm bore tripple drag ported, same carbs and oof pipes.I ran a dual pingle and had no problems running 300' and not running dry.My dumps were drilled to 118 also. My set up hauled a$$ and i didn't even tune it...? I don't see how you could run dry though? Oh i also had my timing plate maxed out...You need to wake them cylinders up man lol

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Drill the dumps to .120 or .122.
You can fine tune the dump with your main, keeping in mind, you can only flow as much through the main/dump tube at the most restricted part.

Try making a 200 foot pass and getting out of the throttle.
If it still burns the straps, you're lean...if not, my guess is you're running out of fuel.
As you said...A&S set them up for a 350, NOT your motor....

Bigger bowls without a pump is always nice insurance.
Those smaller motors like the fuel...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, yea I know I need to turn the timing up I just don't want to do it till the jetting is on the fat side. I am not running a pump and I do have stock bowls. I made a few passes and looked at the plugs, Thought they were ok but after seeing what alky plugs should look like I now no they were lean. I made 3 hard passes in a row before it burned the straps. I was thinking I would drill em to .120 and then maybe .122 if I had to but My original question was about wether I was supposed to drill all the way thru because right now I can see a step down inside the hole??

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yes drill threw the main all the way threw the dump tube into where the slide goes.... I had to go to .125 on my 4 mill cub.... be careful going that big though. there is not much material left in the dump tube and if your not straight you will go threw into the carb body....

dan hull likes to run his motors on the edge, so it may be alittle lean if he set it up.... I would drill it to .120 and see how it does....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup, thats why I didn't think it looked right but I bought these from bansheedan on bansheehq and he said they were set up by a+s so I thought maybe they were supposed to be like that but it sure didn't look right.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Dan never really got to run those carbs, he had other sealing issues on his motor.
I can vouch for A&S drilling and setting up the carbs. BansheeDan stood there while A&S (Dan Hull) set them up.

If I also remember correctly, he did not have power jets installed on them because Dan Hull told him if the stock cylinder 350 does not have triple ports on it (Banshee Dan's motor didn't) you don't need power jets.

I would personally put powerjets on any alky carb..that's just me.

However, Dan Hull is the king when it comes to this stuff...he's forgotten more than most will ever know.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do have powerjets installed and Dan told me that a+s did that also. But yea the holes are not drilled all the way thru. I know Dan had cylinder issues cuz I bought them from him also, they will be going on my buddies blue bike in my sig soon as we fix the stud issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.