ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a good offer on my ohlins....and if I sell them, I will need some shocks for my green turd.. I ride it around a lot.... so, can I dune with shaws? I know the ride won't be as nice as what I am used too.. but, will it handle bumps and ruts ok?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The problem you are going to run into is how fast the shaws are going to wear. That is a very heavy bike which will require a pretty heavy nitrogen charge in the shocks. Which of coarse is much harder on the seals. I had a dune/drag banshee a while back that I used to ride to the hill to go race with. It had shaws all the way around. It rode decent throught the dunes, but it was very stiff. And after a couple of trips the shocks were beginning to leak. I was riding it fairly hard on my way to the hill though. If this bike is a duner/dragger, you might want to look into another light weight shock like the fox floats. They will handle much better and still be much lighter than stock shocks!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I attempted to do this with my bike back several months ago. I learned really fast that they dont handle those whoops well at all. I almost got bucked off going down the sand highway in Pismo when I pinned it and hit a big rut. Needless to say I truck it out now, even though I hate doing it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE (Bansh-eman @ Mar 2 2009, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=32806I attempted to do this with my bike back several months ago. I learned really fast that they dont handle those whoops well at all. I almost got bucked off going down the sand highway in Pismo when I pinned it and hit a big rut. Needless to say I truck it out now, even though I hate doing it.

I guess I'm confused.. I thought you only had your bike out once last year and you coudln't get it to run right. Have you had it out since then or did you have shaws before you switched everything over for dune drags after the trans problem on your previous outing?

My shaws handle the whoops and ruts fine.. but their nothing I would take out for a few hrs dune runnin.

Like Badass said. I would look into some shaw coil overs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The problem with the shaw coilovers is how much they weigh. I think pound for pound, on a stock chassis, you are better off running a stock linkage setup rather than running a no link with a shaw coilover. They are heavy!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE (AZCUSTOMQUADS @ Mar 3 2009, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33082The problem with the shaw coilovers is how much they weigh. I think pound for pound, on a stock chassis, you are better off running a stock linkage setup rather than running a no link with a shaw coilover. They are heavy!!!

The shaw coil overs are just hillshooters with springs. The linkage helps the progressive rate of the shock. If you use a short shock then the swingarm angle is already through most of the progressive motion that the linkage provides wich inturn.. makes the linkage near useless in my opinion.

On a side note.. I dont think he's looking to put this shock on a banshee.. I think he's looking to put it on his Kawi if i'm not mistaken. right?

·
Registered
507 Posts
QUOTE (Fouledout421 @ Mar 3 2009, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33010I guess I'm confused.. I thought you only had your bike out once last year and you coudln't get it to run right. Have you had it out since then or did you have shaws before you switched everything over for dune drags after the trans problem on your previous outing?

My shaws handle the whoops and ruts fine.. but their nothing I would take out for a few hrs dune runnin.

Like Badass said. I would look into some shaw coil overs.
After the tranny blewup I had it out once or twice in Pismo. Thats when I almost got bucked off. After that trip is when I decided to hell with it I am going to make a full drag bike. So thats when I sold the Wicked arms the +6 the PWK's all that and bought all the light weight drag componants and sent the jugs to K&T. After getting it all back together I had it out once from then and couldnt get it tuned right. I just need to get more jets and dumps. We were really limited on what jets I had to select from, and the wind was blowing sand all over the place. Everyone was trying to get me to pull the carbs and work on the motor like that but there was no chance in hell I was doing that. So instead I decided I will just tune it later or go to a dyno. Then low and behold I foundout I was going to Japan for a year so the bike got put on the back burner where it is still sitting right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.