ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal. a few weeks back i posted about my bike not running at the race i went to it just bogged and wouldnt rev under a load. checked everything out turned out i only had 120lbs of comp. took the cylinders to my builder he checked em out siad i just needed a hone and rings so we did that and even milled the head a bit to bump the compression for a little more power. figured that was it should be good. get to the races last night and same thing bike just bogs and will not rev under load but revs up fine not under load. i checked the plugs they looked almost unused just a little wet so i figured maybe lean but i had already gone up from 170s to 175s. so i went to 185 to be safe and put new plugs in.... next pass bike just completely bogs almost dies off the line then is sporatically running on one cylinder then the other then kinda on both and going about 5 mph. so i shut it down and the plugs again look new with no blackness and just look a little wet. so now having freshend the motor up im eliminating that. thought maybe reeds but they look good. so im now going to electrical im running a dynatech cdi with a stock coil. thinking the coil may be fried hoping the dynatech isnt. so im wondering if anyone running a dyna have had problems like this or if anyone has any ideas? also anyone had a defective dyna and how were the people there? this is only about 6 months old.

·
Registered
250 Posts
QUOTE (chvy91bowtie @ Apr 18 2009, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=38835ok so heres the deal. a few weeks back i posted about my bike not running at the race i went to it just bogged and wouldnt rev under a load. checked everything out turned out i only had 120lbs of comp. took the cylinders to my builder he checked em out siad i just needed a hone and rings so we did that and even milled the head a bit to bump the compression for a little more power. figured that was it should be good. get to the races last night and same thing bike just bogs and will not rev under load but revs up fine not under load. i checked the plugs they looked almost unused just a little wet so i figured maybe lean but i had already gone up from 170s to 175s. so i went to 185 to be safe and put new plugs in.... next pass bike just completely bogs almost dies off the line then is sporatically running on one cylinder then the other then kinda on both and going about 5 mph. so i shut it down and the plugs again look new with no blackness and just look a little wet. so now having freshend the motor up im eliminating that. thought maybe reeds but they look good. so im now going to electrical im running a dynatech cdi with a stock coil. thinking the coil may be fried hoping the dynatech isnt. so im wondering if anyone running a dyna have had problems like this or if anyone has any ideas? also anyone had a defective dyna and how were the people there? this is only about 6 months old.

Mine was doing this a few weeks back, i cleaned my grounds and tried a different coil and that fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
You aren't going to want to hear this, but that is a very common characteristic of the dynatek boxes. My suggestion is to either go with a vortex if you want a programmable box, or stick with a stock CDI and get an adjustable timing plate.

Check your ground before you throw it in the trash. You can also call dyna if it was purchased within the year and they will replace it. Of course, it will go bad again...but you wouldn't have to buy one until then.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Apr 19 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=38976You aren't going to want to hear this, but that is a very common characteristic of the dynatek boxes. My suggestion is to either go with a vortex if you want a programmable box, or stick with a stock CDI and get an adjustable timing plate.

Check your ground before you throw it in the trash. You can also call dyna if it was purchased within the year and they will replace it. Of course, it will go bad again...but you wouldn't have to buy one until then.
well i checked evrything on the bike and all mechanical stuff looked good however i did find one small thing... my clutch cable was up against the back of my coil wire the orange one that comes in the back and it was kinda twisted off a little. i plugged that back in but i havent run it yet. i talked to one of my friends that saw it run that night and he said he had that wire come loose one time he was hillracing and it ran like that mine did and he just thought his crabs were messed up then another guy came up and told him to check that sure enough that same orange wire was loose they pushed it on and it ran like a champ... so im hoping. i do have another coil and a stock cdi so i will soon get to the bottom of it just need to ride it. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
QUOTE (chvy91bowtie @ Apr 20 2009, 12:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39035he just thought his crabs were messed up

Don't get Sonny Started on Crabs....

I've never heard of this problem with Dynatech, I used mine for 2 years without issue...but Koolguy probably has a lot more experience with them than I.
I went back to OEM and just the plate a few years ago...

A lead tech at Dynatech used to be Brad, he was on PS alot. But he's since left the company...and too bad.
He was VERY, very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Apr 20 2009, 04:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39054Don't get Sonny Started on Crabs....

I've never heard of this problem with Dynatech, I used mine for 2 years without issue...but Koolguy probably has a lot more experience with them than I.
I went back to OEM and just the plate a few years ago...

A lead tech at Dynatech used to be Brad, he was on PS alot. But he's since left the company...and too bad.
He was VERY, very helpful.

Brad was a good guy. In fact, he was the only one at that company who knew what the F they were talking about. Now you call them and you get a whole bunch of "ugh...uhm..."

I called one time to get the current draw of their drl400 box (so I could calculate the mAh for a battery) and none of the sum [censored] could even tell me the current draw! I laughed and hung up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
i miss the brad guy..

here's a lil tip.. IF the dynatech box is ANYWHERE NEAR the coil the coil will mess with the box the dyna is a digital ignition. it is very supceptable to outside interference. ALWAYS use resistor plugs and good resistor caps with the coil., and mount the dyna a lil ways away from the coil if your electrical is in the stock locations you shouldnt have this problem due to interference. i have 3 dyna's on my banhsee's and havent had one problem with them at all. i also use a nology coil on one of the set ups with great results.. i DID have issue's with mounting the dyna close to the coil and running non resistor plugs

just in case the resistor NGK's have the R in them a B8ES in resistor is BR8ES, i ran the BR8EIX plugs with the best results on alky

the stock CDI can basically be mounted right on top of the coil with no interference issue's replace that with a dyna and BlAmO you have running issue's this problem led to a lot of so called "faulty" dyna's on drag bike's due to the close location mounting of cut down harness's..

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (camatv @ Apr 22 2009, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39531i miss the brad guy..

the stock CDI can basically be mounted right on top of the coil with no interference issue's replace that with a dyna and BlAmO you have running issue's this problem led to a lot of so called "faulty" dyna's on drag bike's due to the close location mounting of cut down harness's..

Seems a little silly that you say an OEM CDI can be mounted on top of a coil and a Dyna can't. Anyways, not in an arguing mood tonight (surprise right).

What actually kills the dyna's is a combination of things. One is that most people don't realize they need an R plug. The other is that a poor ground will also kill them. The third is the vibration. Has nothing to do with EMF, if it did you wouldn't be able to connect an inductive pick up to it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
QUOTE (camatv @ Apr 22 2009, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39531i miss the brad guy..

here's a lil tip.. IF the dynatech box is ANYWHERE NEAR the coil the coil will mess with the box the dyna is a digital ignition. it is very supceptable to outside interference. ALWAYS use resistor plugs and good resistor caps with the coil., and mount the dyna a lil ways away from the coil if your electrical is in the stock locations you shouldnt have this problem due to interference. i have 3 dyna's on my banhsee's and havent had one problem with them at all. i also use a nology coil on one of the set ups with great results.. i DID have issue's with mounting the dyna close to the coil and running non resistor plugs

just in case the resistor NGK's have the R in them a B8ES in resistor is BR8ES, i ran the BR8EIX plugs with the best results on alky

this is true, but seems to be a hit and miss thing, I know because i have always run the dyna's and had a handfull of new ones to try at nmotion on the dyno.. Some have issues and some dont, i think it has something to do with the insulation of the unit. I chased this a couple times on differnt bikes, the problem is that some units react differntly so its a hard bug to find..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i havent had a chance to run the bike yet but i will this weekend. my dyna has worked fine for like 6 months up until this last couple weeks. also the last pass a i made at the race before was just great then the first pass two races ago it ran bad and same thing last time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so i got to run my shee today... started out by just running it the way it sat didnt run. next i put the stock cdi on it and still didnt run. next i put another working coil on the bike and still wont run. checked the grounds and all connection everything looked good but still wont run... the only part left on the bike is the stator everything else checks out. my friend said hes seen a few stators go out and the first thing you'll think is the carbs are messed up and thats the first thing i would think by the way my bike runs now. anyone have any thoughts on this? is this a possibilty?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Apr 26 2009, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39897Stators are also a very common part to go out. Like Dave said, if it is a Ricky Stator, or a Ricks Electrix...toss it in the trash.
no as far as i know its the stock stator i havent touched it since ive owned the bike and the guy i bought it from didnt say he changed it so i belive its stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know this sounds stupid, but i just went through the exact same headaches u r going through now. Try changing your air filters, or take them off and try it, my was the same way sounded great till u put a load on it.i know this sounds stupid, but i just went through the exact same headaches u r going through now. Try changing your air filters, or take them off and try it, my was the same way sounded great till u put a load on it.QUOTE (chvy91bowtie @ Apr 18 2009, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=38835ok so heres the deal. a few weeks back i posted about my bike not running at the race i went to it just bogged and wouldnt rev under a load. checked everything out turned out i only had 120lbs of comp. took the cylinders to my builder he checked em out siad i just needed a hone and rings so we did that and even milled the head a bit to bump the compression for a little more power. figured that was it should be good. get to the races last night and same thing bike just bogs and will not rev under load but revs up fine not under load. i checked the plugs they looked almost unused just a little wet so i figured maybe lean but i had already gone up from 170s to 175s. so i went to 185 to be safe and put new plugs in.... next pass bike just completely bogs almost dies off the line then is sporatically running on one cylinder then the other then kinda on both and going about 5 mph. so i shut it down and the plugs again look new with no blackness and just look a little wet. so now having freshend the motor up im eliminating that. thought maybe reeds but they look good. so im now going to electrical im running a dynatech cdi with a stock coil. thinking the coil may be fried hoping the dynatech isnt. so im wondering if anyone running a dyna have had problems like this or if anyone has any ideas? also anyone had a defective dyna and how were the people there? this is only about 6 months old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.