ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Its more less the same as alky you just wont need as much fuel like you would with alky.

Some have had problems on gumming the carb up before like my self and some havent.

So you may still want to purge it when done riding it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Stay the hell away from it, pits the hell out of the combustion chamber and exhaust ports.

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE (BBIII @ Apr 2 2009, 03:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=36710Its more less the same as alky you just wont need as much fuel like you would with alky.

Some have had problems on gumming the carb up before like my self and some havent.

So you may still want to purge it when done riding it.

We run it in our Fuel Injected YFZ. No Purging and No problems yet. It is nice because the motor runs 30 degrees cooler.

·
Registered
614 Posts
gain a big amount of power n torque in both my 4strokes....1.40 a gallon cooler engine.....i purge when bike is not in use though....

have never heard abt the pittin issue trex????

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
A big problem with it is consistency of the gas/alky mix. In the winter it's more like 70% ethanol and 30% gas. On loboboys EFI Banshee it was jetted perfect with some "E85" bought in Garden City Ks. then was really lean with new fuel in the bike. The reason was the Garden City "E85" was really E70 (70% Ethanol) , then with the 85% mixture E85 in it it was really lean.I'm torn on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey rich i would stay away form the e85 the reason being is it is blended different for every season of the year so in the winter its only like 30% ethonol and in the summer i can be any where for 85% to 15% so i would probably make for a tuning nightmare, you never notice it in a fuel injected car because the pcm can copensate for it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
QUOTE (trx510r @ Apr 2 2009, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=36747gain a big amount of power n torque in both my 4strokes....1.40 a gallon cooler engine.....i purge when bike is not in use though....

have never heard abt the pittin issue trex????

I have seen it first hand on BB III yfz head when he was running it. First time for everything...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes they do change the %'s depending on the season. they cut the ethanol during the winter for easier starting. You could use a hydrometer to test the fuel or find out who is setting the pumps at your station and find out from them. You could fill a small drum on what ever % you decide to run. I balked at the idea of running it for some time but have now become a fan. I think it is a great fuel to run for those who are running race gas in a dunner with the cooler running temps, high octane, cost, and it smells great. The bikes thst we have done so far are using around 35-40% more fuel(e85) 30%(e70) and gaining 5-8% increase in power all of wich are EFI. Yes methanol will gain more power, but at the cost of fuel consumption.

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE (Radar @ Apr 2 2009, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=36749A big problem with it is consistency of the gas/alky mix. In the winter it's more like 70% ethanol and 30% gas. On loboboys EFI Banshee it was jetted perfect with some "E85" bought in Garden City Ks. then was really lean with new fuel in the bike. The reason was the Garden City "E85" was really E70 (70% Ethanol) , then with the 85% mixture E85 in it it was really lean.I'm torn on it.

The above is true, for me ive never had to do more then turn the powerjet. The cross over is also based on time of year I had a chart somewere that showed when the mix to 70% occured.

Rich I like it, eventually I want to set the kfx up on it as well. but with stock carbs the pilots present a problem for me.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will give it a try.. won't hurt to give it a shot...just ordered some big jets...

Wonder what A/F ratio I need to shoot for... from what I read I thought it was around 7 to 1...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well guys like duneloon and RADAR have said I think it is worth it. Especially since I went from spending 10.00 a gal for race fuel to 1.40 I will take the time to jet it when the mixture changes. Especially since it takes 3 key strokes and I am done, no jets or turning of screws for me just relocating some electrical signals. LOL

We added 3% to my jetting on the true E85 and it ran great, no problems at all. Time will tell the truth on how reliable it is but I have the utmost confidence in Duneloon and GPRacerX's abilities in the Fuel injection they put on my Banshee.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just ordered several big jets for the webbers today off of ebay.... 190-205... should be a good start....

thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
3 which made it a total of about 30% richer than with the gas. I only added 3% to account for differnece between winter mix and summer mix. I brought some E85 with me form Wichita and the Garden City stuff had not been changed yet is what Kevin said. He figured it to be around 70% Ethanol compared to the E85 I borught with me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.