ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
cant go wrong with the 45 acp..I have a springfield xd45 and I love it..The 1911 model is a lil more pricey but a great gun.Depends on what your looking for.Hard to beat a solid 9mm when it comes to price to shoot.The bigger the caliber the more expensive it gets.Reliability is what to look for.springfield armory,glock,sig,taurus are all good brands.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i just wanted something to throw in the truck when making the trip to the lake house and then having something while i'm up there. Not looking for something to actually conceal on me right now i plan on getting a glock down the road for that if i need to. I've had my heart set on getting a 45 for a while. I heard the Kimber and H&Ks are nice guns.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I love my 1911 .45, I also love my glock 22 (.40 cal) but if I only had one of my guns to choose and only one caliber I would keep my H&K usp 40 caliber. I think what you really need to do is go to a gun shop with a range and rent a few to shoot. I would also take the wife or loved one with you because in my opinion everyone in the house should know how and be able to use it. Some say without experience you should get a revolver but personally prefer automatics. Go shoot as many as you can IMO

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
i have a 1911 a-1 .45 cal springfield loaded , glock 22 & 23 .40 cal, and just sold my smith & wesson .40 --- i realized i HATE a double action semi auto pistol !!!!

9mm & .40 cal are good rounds ..... but i ll always trust my .45
if i "had " to use my pistol in a situation , id want my .45 in my hand. the .45's have the knock down power that the 9's and 40 's dont have.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
like cam said.... see if u can rent or shoot a pistol first . i bought my smith & wesson cheap... so i didnt shoot it first .
but after i did , i hated it. the double action trigger sucked !!!
my springfield has a awesome stock trigger.. 3 dot trinium sites. i had 3 1/2 pound triggers installed in both my glocks. also the exstended slide realeases and 3 dot trinium sights.

so , if possiable, shoot a gun u like first. so u get to see if u like the trigger and the sights and also the grips.
i also added hogue grips to all my pistols

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that springfield Rico i'm wanting something like that. I'm suppose to meet up with this guy that i work with at the gun club this coming monday said he would let me shoot some different guns. Right now i'm leaning towards the springfriend or kimber but like everyone said it could change once i start playing with them. I'll post a pic of what i decide on i'm definitely getting one next week when i'm off from working nights.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you can afford it get the Kimber mmm cream of the crop lol. They make some sweet [censored] guns and they are very very good guns and quality [censored] for sure. I'd probably stick with a 9mm if you want to shoot it for fun much etc . Its plenty big to keep you protected and cost half as much to shoot.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I also have a 1911 .45, love that gun. I carry a Keltec 9mm in the truck and when we go places for protection. The sargeant of our police force and swat team put me on to it. A nice piece, lightweight and parkerized finish (matte black). If you want something to carry that's easy to conceal, it's also hard to beat the small 5 round .38 snubnose revolver, just pull the trigger.

But there are a lot of choices out there. Hopefully you wont ever need to use it for protection, but if the need is there then it will make a difference. Good luck finding something.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have a HK USP 45, and love it. IMO, nothing beats HK for quality, and .45 is by far the best round for an automatic. The 45 is going to have alot mor stopping power compared to the 9 or the 40, which Im assuming your wanting for your situation.

Also, if you decide to go the 1911 route, be careful. There are quite a few different 1911 models out there, and most of them are less good quality. However, you cant go wrong with Kimber.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard a lot of good things about Kimber and Springfield. The situation i'm in right now i'm not looking for concealed i'm just wanting something to throw in the truck when we head to the lake house and the deer lease. If i'm walking in the woods at the deer lease i want something that will stop a hog or just explode a rattlesnake. I don't wanna buy a gun now to kill someone i just want a big beefy gun to shoot at the range or just play around at the lake and deer camp. Later down the road i wanna get a 9mm that i can use for home protection and carry on me. What's the main reason to get a .40 or a .45 other than the caliper? I know the .45 will go through several walls in a home before it stops which means if you don't hit the intruder than you put your love ones in harm if you miss other than the 9mm. Accuracy i would want the 9

·
Registered
638 Posts
i like the 40s&w over the 45acp the 40 will not drop as much! 45 has more knock down power though! 40 ammo is alil cheaper and when your shooting the 40 isn't quite as loud if that realy matters to you if you shoot both without ear plugs the 45 tends to ring my ears when the 40 doesn't

i like the smith & wesson M&Ps

but if your gonna do any mods i'd go with a 1911

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.