ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just cant bring myself to spend 8 grand on a new quad, i have an lt 250r but that is another story, anyways i want to build the 230qs i have, i know that you all out there built these things before all the 450s and raptors came out, so what did you do to them, i know that the intake port is the shape of a box an have heard of diferent ways if doing the port work, my question is is there anybody out there i could send my head to for milling, port work, larger valves, thanks

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
www.fourstroketech.net

Specs
Price

Specs
Price

ºHigh Compression Piston

(Standard through 40 Over)
$105

ºHigh Compression Piston

(Standard through 40 Over)
$105

º265cc Big Bore Kit

Includes piston, rings, pin & clips, sleeve and head gasket.
$295

º273cc Big Bore Kit

Includes piston, rings, pin & clips, sleeve and head gasket.
$295

ºCam (exchange on stock cam)
$165

ºCam (exchange on stock cam)
$165

ºValve Springs
$95

ºValve Springs
$95

ºClutch Springs
$20

ºClutch Springs
$20

ºOil Cooler Kit
$95

ºOil Cooler Kit
$95

Machine shop labors, port & flow, engine building labors are not included in the prices. Call for more information on complete engine building.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Sleeve & piston for a 225 yamaha (wrist pins sre the same) makes it 250+ cc...
Valve seats have enough meat to handle +2 valves

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I don't remember the exact sizes of the pistons/bores. But the 225 used a bigger bore and a shorter stroke as opposed to the 230 with a smaller bore and a longer stroke to achieve basically the same displacement. If I recall correctly, use the wrist pin and bearing for the 225 on the 230 rod.
A stock 230 head gasket will work with some minor trimming.
Back in the day, we had our valves custom cut. A good automotive machine shop should be able to hook you up.
We sent the cam to Web for a regrind. Tell them what you want it to do and they will make it happen.

At the time, we were running an indoor circuit Mike Kidd was promoting. The tracks were short and tight so we built these motors for for grunt coming out the turns. As I said, I don't remember the exact specs, but this mod made the 230 the max cc for the AMA rules (254cc ??). We couldn't quite run with the 2 strokes of the day, but there was not another 4 stroke that would run with these scooters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (tedd1 @ Apr 4 2009, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=36992I don't remember the exact sizes of the pistons/bores. But the 225 used a bigger bore and a shorter stroke as opposed to the 230 with a smaller bore and a longer stroke to achieve basically the same displacement. If I recall correctly, use the wrist pin and bearing for the 225 on the 230 rod.
A stock 230 head gasket will work with some minor trimming.
Back in the day, we had our valves custom cut. A good automotive machine shop should be able to hook you up.
We sent the cam to Web for a regrind. Tell them what you want it to do and they will make it happen.

At the time, we were running an indoor circuit Mike Kidd was promoting. The tracks were short and tight so we built these motors for for grunt coming out the turns. As I said, I don't remember the exact specs, but this mod made the 230 the max cc for the AMA rules (254cc ??). We couldn't quite run with the 2 strokes of the day, but there was not another 4 stroke that would run with these scooters.

thanks man thats just what i needed. so what your telling me is that these things will run pretty good this way. web has a couple cams offered but if i send them mine they will grind it for my needs. im gonna get on this, thanks

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
In those days Web didn't offer an off the shelf cam. They may have the one you need. Give them a call, they will usually discuss your application.
There were 3 of us that were sponsored by the local Suzuki dealer. I dropped a valve early on and destroyed my motor. A local builder suggested I go back with these mods since I needed head work and a re-sleeve to make the repairs. He installed the sleeve & piston, ported the head, installed +2 valves, cam, cc'd the chamber, and built a 9" long x 4" od megaphone with a cone that necked down to a 2" opening. That thing was LOUD. I bought a carb for a 350 Kawi quad that was quite a bit larger than the stock 230 carb. I was enough faster than my team mates that they did the same mods soon after.
This was 25+ years ago. There was not much available back then in the way of aftermarket go-fast parts. We were forced to improvise. Most of our stuff was custom, hand made parts. There may be better options now for sleeves, pistons, etc.
Mike Kidd billed us as "The Rolling Thunder Show". We could rattle the rafters in the indoor venues. There was 12-15 4 stroke riders that ran our own class for 4 seasons. We ran from OKC to San Antonio, Tx in the winters from 85 to 88 until he sold out to Arena Cross, what is now Super Cross. We thought we were FAST.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (tedd1 @ Apr 5 2009, 07:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=37077In those days Web didn't offer an off the shelf cam. They may have the one you need. Give them a call, they will usually discuss your application.
There were 3 of us that were sponsored by the local Suzuki dealer. I dropped a valve early on and destroyed my motor. A local builder suggested I go back with these mods since I needed head work and a re-sleeve to make the repairs. He installed the sleeve & piston, ported the head, installed +2 valves, cam, cc'd the chamber, and built a 9" long x 4" od megaphone with a cone that necked down to a 2" opening. That thing was LOUD. I bought a carb for a 350 Kawi quad that was quite a bit larger than the stock 230 carb. I was enough faster than my team mates that they did the same mods soon after.
This was 25+ years ago. There was not much available back then in the way of aftermarket go-fast parts. We were forced to improvise. Most of our stuff was custom, hand made parts. There may be better options now for sleeves, pistons, etc.
Mike Kidd billed us as "The Rolling Thunder Show". We could rattle the rafters in the indoor venues. There was 12-15 4 stroke riders that ran our own class for 4 seasons. We ran from OKC to San Antonio, Tx in the winters from 85 to 88 until he sold out to Arena Cross, what is now Super Cross. We thought we were FAST.

thats cool, glad to hear that people did work with these back then

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.