ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run a crank that was out of true by up to 4 to 6 thousandths off? I have a +4 Hot Rod long rod crank in my cheetah that we can't get true because it is welded.

Are the Hot rod cranks garbage?

Anyone try using the services of Crankworks in Phx?

thanks,

Mailman

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
thats probably spec BUT if its going to be dragged i'd get it closer than that crankworks should be able to get it very true for you you can just cut out the weld true it then re weld it. also can try tim at titan racing he's good with cranks

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (Mailman @ Feb 3 2009, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=29042Has anyone run a crank that was out of true by up to 4 to 6 thousandths off? I have a +4 Hot Rod long rod crank in my cheetah that we can't get true because it is welded.

Are the Hot rod cranks garbage?

Anyone try using the services of Crankworks in Phx?

thanks,

Mailman

I had one guy try and straighten his with a trailer hitch out at the beach...lol

.008 is the max tolerance on a stock crank. A race crank you want within .002 IMO and optimal is .0005

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
My 10 mil was a used crank works, put a TZ bearing on PTO side over two years ago...and it was trued to .001.
hundreds and hundreds of runs later, no issues.
I'll check it again before I put mine back together...but my money says it's the same or within .0001 to .0005 of what it was before.

A trail crank that only sees 9 K here and there .004 to .006 is OK....
I agree with sonny...race crank, Max RPMs most of the time, .002 or less is what to shoot for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.