ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I havn't seen it my self on a atv motor- but seen it happen on cars-
bubba is ALWAYS griping at me to shut the fuel off-
So I guess it is a good idea-
Also this is the reason why you always want to kick a motor over easy the first couple of times to make sure that something funny is not going on....

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
ive had it happen on two motors, just didnt bend a rod cause i caught it early. If the motor feels weird or tougher than usual when kicking it over, stop and investigate. You should be able to pull the plugs out, KILL the ignition completely, and kick it over a bunch of times to kick out the fuel thru the plug holes. It is important to kill the ignition completely as the plug wire spark can ignite the fuel spewing out and cause a fire. This happened to me and was a disaster.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It actually happens quite often Rico with the billet bowls.. Had it happen to me twice last year.. Caught it the first time before the motor actually locked.. and the second time it locked at the track when I went to start it.. but. .luckily I always to a "soft kick through" so I didn't put anyforce on it. I knew exactly what it was.
Had to pull my carbs and syphon out the gas.. then clean my carbs... again.

Best advice I got is.. dont run the billet bowls unless its a absolute must and if you do use the billet bowls.. clean your carbs fequently!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I probably missed it, but what is the difference in the billet bowls and stock bowls that makes them leak gas through into the motor? I realize it's when the seat/float gets stuck open, but what after that?

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jun 5 2009, 11:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=45442I probably missed it, but what is the difference in the billet bowls and stock bowls that makes them leak gas through into the motor? I realize it's when the seat/float gets stuck open, but what after that?

The billet bowls dont have a overflow/drain tube built into the bowls. So if your needle/seat get stuck open.. the extra fuel would normally just drain on the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Ya it is. I know of a few making overflows for them tho to prevent this and this was the biggest reason beyond just not ever running a bowl out of fuel that Nate Mccoy wanted me to use a pump on my lectrons. The lectrons are alos a very tight fit with BB shearer inframes and my carbs are at an odd angle tilted in at the top towards each other.

·
Registered
713 Posts
my first race. with my pwk,s and the floats stuck and i have billet bowls but the fuel was pissing out of the carbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.