ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd season Elk hunt had a hair tag. I hunted all week hard not seeing one Elk. Everyone I talked to was saying the same thing "I dont know where the animals are" I was getting very discouraged that I was not going to even find a cow.
On Sat 11/15 my Brother spotted 2 bulls way up high so we went in after them. After a 2 hr hike we got to the edge of the draw we spotted them in. We took one step closer to the edge and they jumped up from where they were bedded down. 1st one took off quick 2nd was not so lucky. 1 shot about 150 yards and the excitement was over.
3hrs later we had him down to a closed road. We knew we were not getting him out whole and daylight was going to be an issue. Prepped him to spend the night in the woods then spread our sweatshirts out to keep the human scent on him and hopefully other critters off.
Went back in on Sunday with some help Brothers wife and my G/F if it wasnt for them we would have had to make two trips and that would have been brutal.

Both of us had a front shoulder and a rear ham on our backs. Easily over a hundred pounds.

Girls were a huge help. They packed out the tools, back strap and the head. I now owe my G/F like you would not believe.

Crossing the middle fork of the John Day.

If you would like to view all the pics click on the link below.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.a...w_photos_button

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
nice job ,boss....

i d love to do some elk huntin. not sure about packin that bad boy out... lol

what did u shoot it with? and what kind of side arms are u both strapped with.

·
Registered
196 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Once an elk is down the funs usually over LOL. But the tough hunts always make the best memories.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (kawiking @ Nov 17 2008, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16460nice job ,boss....

i d love to do some elk huntin. not sure about packin that bad boy out... lol

what did u shoot it with? and what kind of side arms are u both strapped with.

Shot it with 300 Win Mag. We had fear of having to shoot a critter off of the elk when we got back to it on Sunday. I was packing a 357 mag and my Bro had a 44 mag.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That looks like alot of fun!
Pres Day @ Glamis, had my first Elk steak on the grill and that was the best tasting stuff ever!

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
how bad are bears out there ? thats one animal i would not want to walk up on.. dont matter what kind of gun...

those grizzley's are tough !!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bears are one tuff SOB. No Grizzly's just Black bears in Oregon. Opening deer season my dad smoked one.
Cats are a major problem we saw a lot of fresh track. After I shot my bull we heard close gun shots. Come to find out the camp that was just down from where we parked were hunting close to us and jumped two cats. One of the cats did not survive. Dead cats are the best cats big or small.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.