ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten my 392 cub together and running well at +4 degrees

I run on 110 gas and am wondering what I can advance the timing to.

mods include

392 cub
stock stroke long rod crank
vforce 2's
shearer sb inframes
39mm pwk's
19cc domes
.45 squish

any suggestions it runs great on +4 degrees just wondering what I could take it to

I run b9es plugs

thanks
chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jun 23 2009, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47776I'd go to +7, check your plugs after a few runs and read the heat to make sure it's not too much...

Would also switch from B9ES to B8ES plugs. Don't need the colder plug for gasoline...
I would run +6 to +8 and change the plug to BR8ES if youre running the stock ignition.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I've been running +8 & BP8ES plugs (stock ign) on 110 gas in a 421 cub motor.
Ain't got a clue what the diff is between a BR8 & BP8 is. It is what the builder said to run.

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (tedd1 @ Jun 23 2009, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47805I've been running +8 & BP8ES plugs (stock ign) on 110 gas in a 421 cub motor.
Ain't got a clue what the diff is between a BR8 & BP8 is. It is what the builder said to run.

BP is a non resistor plug the BR is a resistor plug. I was told to use resistor plugs on stock ignition, and i think the book says the same.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
QUOTE (Uwenr @ Jun 23 2009, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47819BP is a non resistor plug the BR is a resistor plug. I was told to use resistor plugs on stock ignition, and i think the book says the same.

There's more to it than that.

The P is special...it's a projected porcelain plug.

A BR8ES and B8ES is the identical plug, the R is a resistor plug.

The P plug is totally different.

To answer your question Chris, I'd go to 7 and check the plugs/heat from there.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jun 24 2009, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47900The P is special...it's a projected porcelain plug.
Can you elaborate?
What makes it "special"?

Sorry aabout the thread jacking....

Rick

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (REDLINE @ Jun 24 2009, 04:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=47958It is a projected tip, It actually protrudes down into the cylinder about another .070.

How is the heat range read on gas I know how to do it on alky like 9 and 3 but what about gas what is the breaking point or what should the clocked heat be on the plug if this makes since?

thanks again for all the help guys

lates
chris

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
For alky, the main thing you're looking for is halfway around the plug, doesn't necessarily have to be 9 and 3, the main thing to pay attention to is how much around it has burned, regardless of where the ground strap is

On gas, for jetting, you'll look at the porcelain and will want to see a 2mm ring burned on it towards the base of the porcelain. Ground strap will tell you how you're doing on timing. Most of my ground straps discolored between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the strap

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jun 26 2009, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48227For alky, the main thing you're looking for is halfway around the plug, doesn't necessarily have to be 9 and 3, the main thing to pay attention to is how much around it has burned, regardless of where the ground strap is

On gas, for jetting, you'll look at the porcelain and will want to see a 2mm ring burned on it towards the base of the porcelain. Ground strap will tell you how you're doing on timing. Most of my ground straps discolored between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the strap

Thanks bigboy thats exactly what I was looking for

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.