ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much PSI gets pulled through the 5/16 barbs drilled into the intakes for a fuel pump off hand?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (REDLINE @ Aug 26 2008, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=93585 to 8 lbs, depending on the engine. its not just pulled thru tho... its a pressure / vacuum pulse.

Yea I understand it’s a pulse. I was just trying to get an idea as for how much to make sure the hose I planned on using wouldn’t collapse.

Next question. Tygon hose says it can with stand 35 psi at 73* however this is obviously the amount of outward pressure before it will rupture. Any idea if it can withstand the small vacuum of the intake pulse without collapsing?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have seen tygon used but I wouldnt use it. I prefer pvc, the older and stiffer the better! The good thing about tygon is that it stays soft longer when used as fuel line, but if you collapse that pulse line you WILL starve your engine and pop it, and it will be hard to diagnose. I have seen guys keep fattening their power jets up, and the more they fatten them up, the quicker they drain the bowls, it just keeps getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (REDLINE @ Aug 27 2008, 10:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9389I have seen tygon used but I wouldnt use it. I prefer pvc, the older and stiffer the better! The good thing about tygon is that it stays soft longer when used as fuel line, but if you collapse that pulse line you WILL starve your engine and pop it, and it will be hard to diagnose. I have seen guys keep fattening their power jets up, and the more they fatten them up, the quicker they drain the bowls, it just keeps getting worse and worse.
you think the motion pro 5/16 line is a better choice? i want to say its that fairly stiff vynol that they use

·
Registered
120 Posts
McMaster has polyurethane fuel lines with up to a .125 thick wall

Part Number: 5108K55
1-99 Ft. $2.15 per Ft.
100 or more $1.58 per Ft.
Type
Abrasion-Resistant Clear Polyurethane Tubing
Material
Ester-Based Polyurethane
Shape
Single Line
Outside Dia.
9/16" (.5625")
Inside Dia.
5/16" (.3125")
Wall Thickness
1/8" (.125")
Available Lengths
5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 feet
Reinforcement
Unreinforced
Color
Clear
Maximum Pressure
100 psi @ 73º F
Operating Temperature Range
-70º to +175º F
Bend Radius
3-3/8" (3.375")
Durometer
85A (Firm)
Tensile Strength
5,000 psi
For Use With
Air, Bleach, Food
Sterilize With
Gas
Specifications Met
United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
FDA Specification
CFR21 177.2600
Compatible Fittings
Barbed
WARNING
Tubing will crack if used with water.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here is another option as well; your local Polaris dealer can get you some awesome stuff they put on sleds. Part #8350017-160. FUEL, LINE, ETHER, RED, 5/16. It is $13.42 for (10' i think?). It is absolutely the toughest fuel line you will ever find.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (REDLINE @ Aug 27 2008, 12:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9405Here is another option as well; your local Polaris dealer can get you some awesome stuff they put on sleds. Part #8350017-160. FUEL, LINE, ETHER, RED, 5/16. It is $13.42 for (10' i think?). It is absolutely the toughest fuel line you will ever find.
That fuel line wouldnt happen to be ran on other bikes would it? If not it would without a doubt have to be special ordered. We dont see many sleds in San Diego lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
What about standard black vaccum line like you find on a car......real cheap at an auto parts store. if you dont need fancy colors

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Dave I. @ Aug 27 2008, 05:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9431What about standard black vaccum line like you find on a car......real cheap at an auto parts store. if you dont need fancy colors
I was just trying to see if any of the hose I already have at the house would be ok to use.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I agree with redline.
Tygon is too soft for vacuum line. I use a blue fuel line that is methanol proof and more "crush" proof than Tygon.

I used the black vaccum line....from the auto parts store...but nothing says bling bling like a clear type fuel line...LOL.
the reason I mention methanol proof for the vacuum line is because you will get some fuel/oil mixture in the vacuum ....

Tygon is really nice for PJ lines because instead of cutting or trying to pull the line off the barbs when removing the float bowl, it stays soft and allows you to stretch it to remove the bowl. Obviously, this is only an issue on dual feed opposite side power jet(s)...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that rediculosely stiff motion pro stuff would hold you think?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Aug 27 2008, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9447Yep...no problem. I'd go as far to say just about anything not as spongy as tygon will.
k thnx

·
Registered
203 Posts
The predator 500 carb vent hose is pretty long and seems to made of some good alky resistant material. I have been using this stuff for fuel line and for the vacuum pulse line for my pump to.
LOL, anything in my shop is fair game to 'borrow' parts from!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts