ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a heck of a time getting my bike dialed in. It pulls awesome but is breaking up on the top end. I did a plug chop pulled the plug it was dry and kind greyish brown with specks on the insulator. I went to up 2pts, 4pts bigger main no diff I am thinking its lean but maybe im wrong any help would be awesome I am pulling my hair out. Heres some pics of plug after chop if that helps.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (carolina shaker @ Aug 30 2008, 09:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9666jp what is your timing set at or have you checked your reeds
Timing is stock I dont have a timing plate. Reeds are good. I just put the motor together trying to get it dialed in running 38mm A/S. The guy who did my porting suggested a 55 pilot 178 main clip on 3 from top???? I have gone from a 178 up to a 195... I have a 52 pilot. It pulls real hard but it breaks up bad only on the top end all the way down the track. People keep telling me its running lean when they hear it but I dont know maybe it just the opposite. I probably could use a bigger carb but Im sure thats not the prob. Its a pro=x 310 kit with 4mm stroke which makes it a true 310 210 psi is what my builder told me it should be. I have never checked it yet. I am running c-14 at 32:1. Any help would be awesome I am getting at my wicks end

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What should I look at on the reeds?? They were sealed tight to the cage no cracks when I put them in 2 weeks ago But this has been goin on since I got it together. I think its in my jetting

·
Registered
473 Posts
does it get worse when you add fuel or stay the same , does it break up in the top of every gear or just at the end of the track , i would also check the gap between the pick up and balancer

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (carolina shaker @ Aug 30 2008, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9673does it get worse when you add fuel or stay the same , does it break up in the top of every gear or just at the end of the track , i would also check the gap between the pick up and balancer
Top of every gear...
It gets alittle bit worst when I add fuel. I thought originally it was my stinger on my pipe was to short but I dont think that was the prob. I think its been in my jetting all along. I havent tryed smaller jets than 178 yet. today I had a 190 dropped to a 185 then I adjusted my air screw from 2 to 1 1/2 it ran better than I put a 182 in it and it was doin it again... I just read an article online about jetting and it says if its breaking up on top its to rich... I dont know if I believe that or not. my plugs look lean,
What is the gap supposed to be at on the pick up?? I also gapped my plugs @ .018" if that helps ya

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
i had cpi oof on my shee last year..... it wounldnt pull as hard on the top end, thought maybe lean... took it to ls and put on the dyno... the guy inside the atv shop (dyno's outside) said he could tell it was way rich just by hearin it...
with the oof's the dyno said it was close, but i jetted down alot and put my fmfs on and it ran like a bat out of hell...

i also believe my motor didnt like the oof's.... stock 350 with bolt ons and clean port ...

hope that helps alittle

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
QUOTE (JP374 @ Aug 30 2008, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9679..... I also gapped my plugs @ .018" if that helps ya
Try gapping the plug .030" to .035", my shee does that with the gap too small. I set em @ 0.032".

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (tedd1 @ Aug 31 2008, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9695Try gapping the plug .030" to .035", my shee does that with the gap too small. I set em @ 0.032".
Yeah I will try that im gonna go out and mess with it here in a bit

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres another pic after I cut away the threads. They say your supposed to have a light brown smoke ring 2mm up from bottom.... there is a very light & I mean very light ring about halfway up. The camera doessnt pic it up.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Aug 31 2008, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9712what is the engine temp after you make a run?

BTW, that 38 is a good carb for your engine displacement.
Not sure... The cylinder temp or overall temp. I have one of the laser temp. gauges I could see next time I take it out??

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (JP374 @ Aug 31 2008, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9711Heres another pic after I cut away the threads. They say your supposed to have a light brown smoke ring 2mm up from bottom.... there is a very light & I mean very light ring about halfway up. The camera doessnt pic it up.

they will break up on top if too rich...for sure..

if it was mine .... id throw a 172 in er and give it a go...plug looks like its getting close..

plug will have to look a little leaner with fuel over what u would on pump gas

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes rico Stock cdi. I will try going down on main. I will also get temp today as well
What kinda temp range am I looking for?? I may have found my problem my coil wire was split and frayed I fixed that and Im gonna go out at ride it now. I will check back when I get in and post the scenario.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it!! It must of been that coil wire groundin out or.... But man what a diff. Thanks to ALL!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (JP374 @ Sep 1 2008, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9771Got it!! It must of been that coil wire groundin out or.... But man what a diff. Thanks to ALL!

I forgot to mention I finally ended up w/ a 155 pilot, 170 main, I may go with a 152 pilot.... It is running awesome... gonna see if pilot makes any diff. down low

1 - 18 of 18 Posts