ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting my motor together next weekend Its going to be stock cyl 4 mil drag port 1-5 override, slingshot lockup, stock ported reeds SB CPI OOF pipes. Going to be running 35 PWK's on alky. Will be my first experience with alky so I just want a base line where to start. As of now they have 155 mains 40 pilots and CEL needel. They of course have powerjets. My elevation is around 3000-3200 feet temps are in the 40-70 range right now.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
QUOTE (bigdaddy69 @ Feb 8 2009, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=29625I will be putting my motor together next weekend Its going to be stock cyl 4 mil drag port 1-5 override, slingshot lockup, stock ported reeds SB CPI OOF pipes. Going to be running 35 PWK's on alky. Will be my first experience with alky so I just want a base line where to start. As of now they have 155 mains 40 pilots and CEL needel. They of course have powerjets. My elevation is around 3000-3200 feet temps are in the 40-70 range right now.

Down the road, bigger carbs for alky would be my choice, to be honest. We run 39 on stock cylinder/stock stroke around here.

I'd say start with a 55 pilot, .122 dump and .122 main, power jet all the way out, and EGJ or EGK needle.
At your elevation, that should be safely rich....which is the best way to start out on a methanol motor.

I have to say this since you mentioned gas jets.
You know you have to drill out the dump tube (also called the emulsion tube) and main jet with a drill bit, right?
On a Keihin, once you drill the dump tube, you can not go back. The dump tube on a Keihin is NOT replaceable...so, careful on going too big.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the carbs from BBIII awhile back. He sold them to me as alky carbs. I sent him a PM before I made this post asking for more info on the carbs, what they were drilled to all that good stuff he didnt know. He suggested I look to see what jets were in the carbs and make a post seeking help so thats what I did. Im pretty sure he is a reputable guy, I just dont know much about alky or these carbs but everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe he will chime in

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on, I wasnt in any way trying to start anything or knock you Bobby. Just trying to figure this out. So maybe the jets have been drilled if so could I measure that with a set of calipers or something to see what they are? Would it be easier to just buy some jets and drill them myself?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there is nowhere I can buy alky jets? Even from some of you guys that have extras? I could drill my own, it just seems like it would be a pain in the rear trying to stay straight with your bit and all.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
No you cant buy "alky" jets. that would be much larger than offered. A 155 mainjet would be a .0610 size drill bit or a #53 drill bit. He's telling you you'd need about about a .122 or #31 drill bit which is close to a 3.1mm bit or a 310 jetsize which is not a mainjet size keihin makes. See if the main is larger than a #53 drillbit. If it's a bunch bigger then it's drilled if it's not it sounds like a gas setup. Not a bad thing theres a bunch of people wanting gas carbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.