ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of fairly new set of inframe shearers, show chromed that have at least 3 leaks from pinholes in them. They will leak oil out all over and it blows on the bike and gets sand in it and just makes a freakin mess. I figured for a $550+ pipe they wouldnt be so junky but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone know what/if the pinholes could be welded up? I thought maybe tig welding with some nickel but wasn't sure. I don't want to risk jacking the chrome up either.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (kubitza123 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48515I'd send them back where ever you bought them i have had 2 sets and none ever with any leaks.

I traded a guy some T-5's for them but I believe he bought them from someone in California. They are in pristine condition though except for the leaks. Makes me wonder if they were bought before Matt switched to the new chromer or whatever. I shoulda known better buyin old shearers......

·
Registered
288 Posts
if its just pin holes, epoxy or jb weld might work or it might not, also ive patched small holes with honda bond. its worth a try. unless you want to grind some chrome off and weld the holes. new chrome is probly $200 a pipe.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any tips on how to find exactly where teh holes are? I can't find a few. I tried putting some gasoline in them, tried some baby powder over where i thought the hole was and blowing air into it while having the other end sealed off, and tried putting water in them and pressuring up but none of those worked. Seems that just oil leaks out?

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jun 29 2009, 08:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48514I've got a set of fairly new set of inframe shearers, show chromed that have at least 3 leaks from pinholes in them. They will leak oil out all over and it blows on the bike and gets sand in it and just makes a freakin mess. I figured for a $550+ pipe they wouldnt be so junky but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone know what/if the pinholes could be welded up? I thought maybe tig welding with some nickel but wasn't sure. I don't want to risk jacking the chrome up either.
My brother has the same problem with the same pipes.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On one side it has them in the weld around the exhaust hanger. Other pipe has 2 holes, I've got near where one might be but can't locate the other. will go with some dishsoap then try jb-weld most likely.

Pipes will probably be for sale after that, not sure chrome is what I want for my look. They're in damn good condition too minus the leaks.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I would call Matt, as said.
Bad welds will make them leak, not a poor chrome job.

You don't want to pass your problem onto someone else... I split a seam on my pipes twice now, and Matt was very good about it both times.

He flat out told me, not enough heat was used to weld it up the second time. He said If I have any more issues, he'll build, chrome and send me a brand new set.

Just talk to him and be reasonable....he's a good guy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Jun 30 2009, 03:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48670I would call Matt, as said.
Bad welds will make them leak, not a poor chrome job.

You don't want to pass your problem onto someone else... I split a seam on my pipes twice now, and Matt was very good about it both times.

He flat out told me, not enough heat was used to weld it up the second time. He said If I have any more issues, he'll build, chrome and send me a brand new set.

Just talk to him and be reasonable....he's a good guy.
Does it matter where you bought them? We got ours from D&M Racing in Phoenix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a set of inframes that leaked around the exhaust hanger also. I think the vibration cracks the welds. I pressurized the pipe and stuck it in a 55 gallon garbage can full of water and looked for the bubbles.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (camatv @ Jun 30 2009, 07:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=48769i have a nice setr of t-5's i'd trade ya back for them if you dont want to mess with it..?

lol i'm not that desperate, nor wanting to lose the power, just seein what options i had to fix 'em w/o sending them off somewhere. I'm gonna try to find some of those freeze plugs that expand with the wing-nut and pressure it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.