ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Are you sure that's the only place there is rust? If the cylinders are off, there is more than just the rods exposed, this is a tough one to call...if it were me, I'd tear the cases apart and inspect the whole crank...oil it good and not re-assemble it until I was ready to seal the whole engine. That's just me though.....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at it close last night i and almost wiped it clean with my bare hands. I sprayed some wd40 on it and wiped it with a rag and looks good as new. Crank has so much oil on it from the build it's still in tip top shape. Only thing that was sticking up was the end of the rod i had the bottom end sealed with rags and then shrink wrap. Like you said dave i'll have to mix up a little oil and gas and keep it lubed up. Rico the time is getting close, gotta realize it's still winter weather here so i'm still not in a big big hurry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
QUOTE (KaosBanshee44 @ Jan 17 2009, 06:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=26282I looked at it close last night i and almost wiped it clean with my bare hands. I sprayed some wd40 on it and wiped it with a rag and looks good as new. Crank has so much oil on it from the build it's still in tip top shape. Only thing that was sticking up was the end of the rod i had the bottom end sealed with rags and then shrink wrap. Like you said dave i'll have to mix up a little oil and gas and keep it lubed up. Rico the time is getting close, gotta realize it's still winter weather here so i'm still not in a big big hurry.
Winter weather? In Beaumont Tx??? I thought we only have cold fronts blow through that area?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[censored] this year we've actually seen 5-7 inches of snow fall one night and morning. Ofcourse when the sun came up it didn't take but a day to melt but it's been pretty cold this winter and still is. I can't wait for summer to come around again so i can be comfortable in the garage.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
no meth to suck water yet in the open air the bare metal atracted rust ehh. thats because metal RUSTS its (from what i understand) a natural chemical reaction of bare steel and air.. i use spay lube ( wal mart lil can says lubricant on it) OR wd-40. meth exposed will evaporate off parts pretty quickly. if it was a mixed oil/meth the meth evap's and leavs the oil..

i would just hose it off with wd-40 or spray lube i have used spray lithium grease on cylinders with steel sleves that sat out in the past i have this stuf its a weird liqud wrench spary dry lube it works great it comes out in a wet spray then almost instantly dries to a thin white lube looking stuff. not nearly as sticky as the lithium and sticks to the parts a LOT better. havent seen it in a while.. i usually spary em down cover them up and place them in a cheapo plastic tote.. trans parts, cranks, steel sleved cylinders stuff made of steel. most alluminum i wont spray just cer and store..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.