ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a place that has a dyno near San Diego that I can go to and tune my motor? I know Alba has one but I refuse to let those idiots get near my bike.

It doesnt have to be in San Diego, I am willing to drive reasonable distance if need be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're going to hate my response lol........ Alba! Ha haa, sorry bro...
But really look into their big sale weekends, free dyno runs!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (ClimbAnyHill @ Sep 24 2008, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11576You're going to hate my response lol........ Alba! Ha haa, sorry bro...
But really look into their big sale weekends, free dyno runs!
i called them just to ask...they said 300-500 lol becasue apparently alky is alot more work to tune.... man those guys truley are retarded

P

·
0 Posts
If you are using alky. Dyno tuning is a waste of time. Only good for how much horsepower the motor has.

Had a friend that was using alky last year. Did the dyno, then went drag racing that night in LA and ran his worst numbers.

If using just gas. Dyno tuning is a great tool. It gets you real close for what you want.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Planet Asphalt @ Sep 24 2008, 04:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11604If you are using alky. Dyno tuning is a waste of time. Only good for how much horsepower the motor has.

Had a friend that was using alky last year. Did the dyno, then went drag racing that night in LA and ran his worst numbers.

If using just gas. Dyno tuning is a great tool. It gets you real close for what you want.
why would it be a waste of time? I have rode with two guys this weekend that dyno tuned thier motors to get both the jetting and power from the motor. I dont recall either of them messing wit a single thing when we rode this weekend.

QUOTE (StockRaptor_Tony @ Sep 24 2008, 04:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11609Mmad in El Cajon!

He's a sponsor over on yfztech.com

Awesome rates, and talk about a guy that knows his [censored]....
I sent him a message. thanks

P

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (bansh-eman @ Sep 24 2008, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11629why would it be a waste of time? I have rode with two guys this weekend that dyno tuned thier motors to get both the jetting and power from the motor. I dont recall either of them messing wit a single thing when we rode this weekend.

You can just take out the needles in the carbs and it will still run. Real fat off the line. Makes a lot of power on top.

You want to win races. You have to tune it at the track.

There's a lot of builders out there that will say the same thing. Why dyno tune when using alky.

Temperature and the air inside a dyno room will be alot different than what is outside.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dyno would still be able to get you very close to the correct jetting for the max power regaurdless though wouldnt it? I dont see why you could not use it to tune the motor. Just because it would run super fat does not mean that you couldnt use the dyno to get it tuned to run right and get th max hp from it at the same time?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Take it to a Dyno first! It will save you $$ in the long run as you will not have to buy pistons.. I have converted tons of quads to alcohol and your asking for trouble if you think you can get it close enogh to make it down a track without getting it close first, On a dyno remeber to leave it on the fat side as it will use more fuel once the motor is under heavy load.

Saying a dyno is not needed is like saying you can use an adjustable wrench, when you could be using the correct box wrench to do the job. Its a tool and a very useful one if you know what your doing with it. Dyno operators are a dime a dozen, But good dyno tuners are hard to find. Find a good one.

I agree you will need to fine tune your bike at the track. But without getting it close you will look and feel like an idiot if you only make it half way down the track before the front end noses over and your pistons have holes in them.

Tools are just that, Tools and a dyno is one of the most useful tools in our sport. IMO

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Zig,

that was kinda my point, cept you were able to type it out
now just to find someone with a dyno that either fits my bike or does 2 stroke. As big as San Diego is, we dont have crap for racing shops around here.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Ron, no offense...but what builders say don't dyno tune on alky?
I'd like to know who to steer clear of.

I think most people understand that the final tuning at the track and day of the race is going to be a little different than what worked on the dyno, but for a brand new build, at least you know you're close instead of a 100% total guess, especially being as bansh-eman is new to alky on his own bike.

P

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Sep 26 2008, 09:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11819Ron, no offense...but what builders say don't dyno tune on alky?
I'd like to know who to steer clear of.

I think most people understand that the final tuning at the track and day of the race is going to be a little different than what worked on the dyno, but for a brand new build, at least you know you're close instead of a 100% total guess, especially being as bansh-eman is new to alky on his own bike.
Take a guest. They are some of the top builders in the country. Some are sponsors on Planet Asphalt and on Planet Sand.

Alot of builders that go to the Planet Sand events don't even do the dyno stuff.

Dyno's are very hard to find around here. None in Illinois.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
There is a difference in knowing how a bike should run from doing multiple builds over the years, having a tuned "ear" and the knowledge of how a bike should run and knowing how to set a bike up.

Ask these same builders if they wouldn't recommend an initial dyno tune on alky for a 100% newbie on alky, I'd bet they have a different answer.
In fact...in order to preserve their name and cover their arse, I'd bet they'd be all for a dyno tune for an alky newbie....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
QUOTE (Planet Asphalt @ Sep 26 2008, 07:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11820Take a guest. They are some of the top builders in the country. Some are sponsors on Planet Asphalt and on Planet Sand.

Alot of builders that go to the Planet Sand events don't even do the dyno stuff.

Dyno's are very hard to find around here. None in Illinois.

Dont let the buiders fool you. at one time or another they have used dynos to get base line tuning info for there builds. I have dynoed some of their bikes for them. I am not going to name drop but you would surprised. Nmotion had a mobile dyno that would travel across the US to major events.

They are builders that understand their motors and air/fuel.. without prior knowledge of motor setups your asking for issues for sure. to tell someone (a non builder) not use a dyno, is just being ignorrant to the different levels of tune of these motors.. Tuning to the "edge" is very difficult to do for someone that has not tuned for acholol before.. Thus a Dyno is a great tool to get them close.

Ziggy

P

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (Ziggy @ Sep 26 2008, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11822Dont let the buiders fool you. at one time or another they have used dynos to get base line tuning info for there builds. I have dynoed some of their bikes for them. I am not going to name drop but you would surprised. Nmotion had a mobile dyno that would travel across the US to major events.

They are builders that understand their motors and air/fuel.. without prior knowledge of motor setups your asking for issues for sure. to tell someone (a non builder) not use a dyno, is just being ignorrant to the different levels of tune of these motors.. Tuning to the "edge" is very difficult to do for someone that has not tuned for acholol before.. Thus a Dyno is a great tool to get them close.

Ziggy
I agree. It's a great tool.

But what were we doing when there was not a atv dyno out there.

Only time I use the dyno is for numbers.

CT Racing near LA has a great dyno setup. Don't charge that much per hour.
Also Trinity Racing has a great setup too.

P

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Sep 26 2008, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11829Learning the hard way....which usually = the expensive way.

You could walk across town, take a horse and buggy...or get in your car....which would you rather?
I got horses at home. Always riding across town.

I race at different tracks every weekend. Not to the same track more than once during the season. I can't use the same tuning setup from the dyno at the tracks. Always set it up fat than work down from there.
Bring a saw, so you can cut the plugs. So you can read the plugs the right way and that will get you real close to tune the motor.
It's not hard to learn the hard way.
Alky is so easy. Gas is hard.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Again Ron...I can see your point.

But my point is you have a baseline and have been doing this a while. The original poster has not..
A dyno baseline vs. flying blind first time out is a better choice....

He has never run alky, have never tuned alky, etc. You have.
I agree setting can vary track to track....but unless you're traveling across the country to different locales, climates, elevations, etc., the baseline will be close (Note...he asked for a Dyno near San Diego, where he lives and close to where he rides, he's not traveling a circuit like you)

Don't take this the wrong way...but forget about what you do and what you know from the past.

Pretend you are just starting out, and you ride in a certain area close to your house so you'd like a dyno close to there as well to get a baseline.

I happen to know a little more about the original poster than you do from knowing him for years.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying you're taking for granted what you already know vs. what is he is yet to learn...that's all.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Dave.

As said my primary areas to ride are relitivly the same elve and temps. As also said I will not be going around the country, I am just a guy out drag racing for fun with buddies. I have ran alky only racing gokarts many years ago and it was on a 4 stroke so I am learning from ground zero right now.

I will look into CT Racing and give them a call. So far it seems like Trinity is my best bet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts