ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well, I finally decided to share my step by step build here. Still not done yet. But here it goes. Got it home, all the plastics removed, then motor pulled.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Test fitting my mockup motor:

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frame chopped to fit a street bike radiator, CX500 radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Modding the stock KX500 exhaust and some header material that i had laying around because my trip to Sand Mtn. was in about a week and a half, so quick and dirty it was, quite dirty! Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done for its first trip, exhause off...

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rigged drag pipe bolted on...

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, after that trip, come to find out, I hated the exhaust, and i was too long according to many of the fast guys out there, and the header tubing was too long as well without expanding, straight 2" all the way to the expansion chamber. So, now I have some time, a bunch of stainless sheet, and a template for an exhaust. So heres the start of the exhaust and a new seat cut and cover. It looked like a dead dolphin before!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (fat [censored] @ Apr 24 2009, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39777does that motor use a counter balancer, me and my dad did cr500 in lt250 and it vibrated like crazy but it was fast as he!!. good job

The motor does vibrate quite a bit, mostly because Kaxi didn't hold their tolerances very tight on these motors. I have another motor I'm gonna send out to a KX5 guy that matches the two crank halves together and adds "stuffers" to decrease the volume in the crank case. He has yet to dyno a KX5 motor, wether it be "big bore" "stroker" or even "drag port" that puts out more power than his motors with his own port work. 84hp to the rear wheel of a bike, and he says its about 25% hp loss. That's well over 100hp. And his motors are rideable! Very wide powerband, and they just keep pulling. Have to run a minimum of 100 octane with a 44mm lectron or similar.

But on the other hand, he's never dynoed the Pinsonnault Racing hillclimber KX540 motor. I do want him to do the bottom end for sure, and possibly do the 540cc kit with "east coast" hill climbing port work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the compliments. It is quite the wheelie machine at the moment. So much bottom end torque, and only more to come! I'm going to do a +2 on width and length in the front, and a +6 length in the rear, lower it down some.

Once I get out of this apartment and can take the bike from work, I'm going to build a whole new frame, better situated for the motor and radiator but still based on the LT230 body.

I want to hurry up and get this goin to build a drag bike, dirt bike, with a banshee motor.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Looks very good.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
You need to retiher copy a pipe like you want as far as diameter,tuned lenagth etc, buy one, or get a pipe building program. If it were me I'd buy a honda, or BB pipe and rigg it up to work. You need to get the math right you need your exhaust duration times , 1700 divided by the rpm you want to make peak HP at and that will give you the tuned length of the pipe.
For example
194 degrees of exh (dont know what yours is)
multiply by 1700
divided by 9,000 rpms = Tuned langth.... the length from the piston skirt to just about 3-8" from the end/smallest part of your stinger depending on what type of pipe you're making.

I dont know what rpm you are going to want to run the 500 motor. I just used 9K as an example.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Radar @ Apr 27 2009, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40015You need to retiher copy a pipe like you want as far as diameter,tuned lenagth etc, buy one, or get a pipe building program. If it were me I'd buy a honda, or BB pipe and rigg it up to work. You need to get the math right you need your exhaust duration times , 1700 divided by the rpm you want to make peak HP at and that will give you the tuned length of the pipe.
For example
194 degrees of exh (dont know what yours is)
multiply by 1700
divided by 9,000 rpms = Tuned langth.... the length from the piston skirt to just about 3-8" from the end/smallest part of your stinger depending on what type of pipe you're making.

I dont know what rpm you are going to want to run the 500 motor. I just used 9K as an example.

Thanks, I do have a 2 stroke exhaust building program. Its set up to make power at 7k RPM and have a wide power band, like the motor I'm having built eventually, the KX500 makes most power between 6-7k stock too, I made a cardstock exhaust first, just to double check the program, the pipe ended up almost perfect to the stock pipe, so, I'm trusting it for now. This is going to be a duner bike for now. Not sure if it would be worth it to even attempt to try to keep up with the alky 10+mill banshees out there. But we will see...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got another little bit of the exhaust done today, was in a hurry to get outta work today, the lady got off work early, so no pics, I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the progress I have made, I made it two piece this time around, not enough room between the motor and radiator to pull the exhaust out, twist it, then slide it out, so instead of having to drain the radiator everytime I had to pull the exhaust, i just made it two pieces. Easier that way. I am sure I will have an exhaust custom built for it after I get the new motor done and the new frame built.

I wouldn't reccomend this frame to use, I should have found at least a LT250 or bigger. But this frame was a steal and I just wanted to build something, had the motor sitting around for over a year not doing anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been workin on the exhaust, this is all tacked up, no full welds, needs a little hammering and pulling in some of the seams. I have the u-turn out of the motor in, back to the other side of the bike, and starting to go up now. The u-turn in so big because I want to keep this in frame and to clear everything its the only way I could do it. And you can see my flange to make this two piece, so I dont have to drain and pull the radiator to pull the exhaust.

By the way, anybody have a muffler that would look good as a center, under seat, exhaust? Im thinking a stock LTR450 pipe. Looking for free....

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got a little bit more done today. I just have to make the little stinger part and then try to find a silencer for it. I then have to pull the pipe off and weld it all up. Heres a pic of what it looked like this morning when I got into the shop, and then at the end of the day, covering the quad up for the night.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.